Single’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As Valentine’s Day quickly approaches and single girls around campus try to avoid anything having to do with the infamous “B” word (aka boyfriend), the anxiety behind finding plans continues to peak.  Instead of filling your heart with a tub of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream while sulking over the fact that your only consistent valentine happens to be your dad, it’s time to embrace all of the other people in your life that you’ve grown to love, even if they’re not your romantic soul mate.  In order to make sure your Valentine’s Day isn’t a bust, here are 5 things you can do that don’t have “boyfriend” as a requirement.    

1.     Go see 50 Shades of Grey

It is no surprise that the highly anticipated 50 Shades of Grey is debuting itself the day before Valentine’s Day so why not celebrate by heading out to the movies with your BFFs?! 

2.     Have a girls’ night in

What better way to celebrate everyone you love by having a super cute girls’ night in!  Who wouldn’t want to wear their comfiest clothes, order food, and have a movie marathon?  With wine, friends, food, and chocolate, there’s really not much else you need!

3.     Spa Day

Lucky for us, we go to school in a huge city with so many things to do.  Whether you choose to get your nails done on Newbury Street, go for a massage at Massage Envy, get a quick blowout at DryBar, or all of the above, there are so many places in Boston to go and pamper yourself that you would be crazy not to.  Plus, everyone could use a fun spa day, right? 

4.     Have a girl’s night out

Who says you need to have a boyfriend to go out to dinner on Valentine’s Day?  Instead, grab a group of friends and head out for a fun dinner and hit one of the many bars/clubs Boston has to offer.  And just so you know, I’m sure there are plenty of cute single guys who will have the same idea!

5.     Secret Santa: Valentine’s Day Edition

Disappointed you won’t be getting any Valentine’s Day treats this year?  Set up a cute “Secret Santa” type event where everyone gets assigned a person to be their valentine.  Create a budget, go out and shop, and exchange on the big day so thateveryone feels special and loved!  

Just because you don’t have a boyfriend doesn’t mean your Valentine’s Day has to be a bummer.  There are PLENTY of things to do with your friends that will still make the holiday just as fun!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.