Singing Sensation and Campus Celebrity, Rachel Wein (CAS ‘17)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the school year begins and students start to hit the books, one Boston University senior is embarking on her journey to singing success. Sociology major and special education minor, Rachel Wein, happens to not only be focusing on the start to senior year but also the release of her own EP. Yes you read that correctly, her own extended play, a musical recording that contains more music than a single, but is usually too short to qualify as a full album (for those who never actually knew what EP stood for, like myself).

“I’m not sure there was a distinct, singular moment when I decided I wanted to pursue singing. It’s just something I’ve always done,” Rachel gleams when thinking about how her singing career began,. “My dad plays piano and is also a songwriter, so I grew up surrounded by lots of music and creativity!”

Rachel says that the initial decision to record this EP was a big step for her because she knew that if she even wanted to consider going into music as a career she needed to “put in the time and effort now to build up a repertoire, get down some solid recordings, and really prove that I could devote myself 100%.” Talk about commitment to a goal!

If you do not know Rachel personally, you must be wondering how this always-smiling, 21-year-old from Chicago went from the College of Arts and Sciences to jump starting her musical dreams in a recording studio. Rachel explains she began working with her friend, Jake, a student at Berklee College of Music. He introduced her to a team of musicians, engineers, and writers that helped the project take flight. They began writing the tunes last summer, recording the following October, and spending the rest of the time, until now, mixing, mastering, and tweaking final details.

“I had all these songs I wanted to share but knew that I needed other musicians and bigger arrangements to really help bring my ideas to life. So, creating this EP seemed like the natural next step,” Rachel gleams with her adorable dimpled smile.

Most college students can agree that the juggle of extracurricular activities with schoolwork and personal life can be quite the challenge. So what happens when you also add-on recording and editing your own collection of songs? For Rachel it’s the thrill of running around that keeps her going.

“I have gotten pretty good at juggling my music commitments with my social life and schoolwork, and luckily I have very supportive friends who help me do so,” she explains.

She also adds that writing and performing music is a stress-reliever, so setting aside time for it is a no brainer. Hmm maybe you are on to something there Rachel! Music lessons anyone?

When asked about her musical type and influences, Rachel’s explanation is one all our readers here at HCBU can relate to.

“Being in college, I’m at an age where I want to embrace the feeling of being young and a little reckless. In terms of the content of the songs, all four tracks talk about relationships and the way that they build up, fall down, and sometimes get stuck going nowhere at all. I tend to place a very big emphasis on the relationships in my life, and I think it shows in the tunes.” 

Though the tracks embrace the ups and downs of relationships, Rachel says the EP has an upbeat, fun vibe with some pop elements and country influence.

As a singer-songwriter, she writes songs that compliment the tone and style of her voice, but realistically speaking, she is still in the process of exploring what style of music hers will be.

“The more new music I hear, the more I am inspired to write in different ways and genres. So, for now, I’ll leave you with a “TBD” she laughs.

Well Rachel, we cannot wait to see where you find yourself musically in the future. Rachel says that for now her career pursuits will remain in Boston while she finishes out her senior year. After graduation, however, our campus celeb may be moving out to Nashville! 

“Regardless of where I end up, I think my main goal is to get a publishing deal where I can co-write or write on my own for other up-and-coming singers” Rachel explains.

You can hear this campus celebs pipes for yourself on September 30th at 9pm at Middle East in Cambridge. The event is 18+ with a $5 entrance fee and Rachel will be performing along side two other local talents. To hear her magical voice even sooner check out her single Get Down (Dirty Little Secret).

Samantha is a junior Broadcast Journalism major in the College of Communication at Boston University. She is the celebrity news anchor on Good Morning BU on BUTV 10. The campus Manager for University Tees and the current Vice President of Recruitment for sorority. She firmly believes that not all who wonder are lost, the ability of food to fuel the soul.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis