The Seven Steps of Finals As Told By Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

What’s more stressful: being a founding father or surviving BU finals?  We can’t really know the answer because no one has done both, but at the moment, my bet is on BU finals.  Here are the steps of finals, as told by Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton.  

Step One: There’s a million things I haven’t done.

A week or so before finals, you are in denial about how much work is up ahead.  You think you’re on top of everything and have time to make summer plans before you crack open a book to study.  Forget finals. You’ve got this.

Step Two: Well, she’s never going to graduate now.

All of the sudden, every professor assigns you insane amounts of work at once.  You are drowning in papers and don’t know if you’ll live to see summer.

Step Three: Why do you write like it’s going out of style?

Now is the time to work nonstop. Pack all your essentials and move into Mugar because you’re going to write like you’re running out of time. Because, quite frankly, you are.

Step Four: Lord, tell me how to say no to Netflix.

With so many distractions, it’s hard not to just take a break and engage in useless procrastination for a few hours.  And maybe, for a little while, you indulge.

Step Five: History has its eyes on you.

In the midst of your procrastination, you remember all the reasons you need to study.  A GPA to maintain, scholarships, jobs, grad school applications. Not to mention, your future depends on you graduating.  So, you get back to work.

Step Six: You have no control of who lives, who dies, or who turns your grades in.

In the end, when you’ve taken all the tests and turned in all the projects, there’s nothing you can do.  It’s over and you’ve done your part. Now it’s all in the hands of the professors.

Step Seven: I’m watching it buuuuurn…..

Now that it’s all said and done, it’s time to sell all of the textbooks you don’t need anymore, clean out your folders, and throw out old notebooks. You hope that they burn.

Step Eight: I wanna sit under my own vine and fig tree.

Take a break.  You deserve it.  You’ve done all of the work, and the school year is behind you.  Enjoy the summer and rest up for the next year. And if you’re graduating, teach them how to say goodbye.

Those are the steps but don’t get ahead of yourself.  Finals week is still ahead. Summon all the courage you require because you are not throwing away your shot.  It’s time to rise up!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah "Kathleen" Lupu is a senior studying psychology at Boston University. She grew up in Bucharest, Romania and holds both Romanian and American citizenships.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.