This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With spring break quickly approaching, college kids everywhere are preparing to travel on airplanes. Whether you’re traveling to an exotic destination or going home, read these seven tips to help make airplane travel a bit more enjoyable.

1. Noise canceling headphones

Airplanes can get so loud! It’s really important to have headphones on an airplane whether you’re watching a movie, listening to music, or tuning into a new podcast. Noise canceling headphones are fantastic because they block out all the background noise.

2. Chargers

Don’t get stuck with a dead phone, headphones, or laptop on an airplane! It’s the worst when your devices die because then you are stuck on an airplane with nothing to do….unless you bring reading material (which leads me to the next point).

3. Reading material

Bring either a book or a couple of magazines to keep you entertained if all your devices die! It’s the worst to have nothing to do, so buy these items in case of an emergency. Also, when else do college girls have time to flip through a glossy magazine? Take advantage of this time!

4. Healthy snack

Getting hangry sucks — especially on an airplane. Airlines don’t usually give out the best snacks, so provide your own! Good options include pretzels, trail mix, and granola bars. Also, bring more than one granola bar or bag of pretzels because you never know if you’ll be delayed.

5. Purell

Ew, germs! Airplanes wreak havoc on your immune system so please, please bring Purell and don’t touch your eyes or face. The air on the airplane is very dry, too, so bring a small tube of lotion to combat dry skin.

6. Your medicine cabinet

Okay, so you don’t need to bring your entire medicine cabinet, but stock up on essential painkillers: aspirin, Advil, Tylenol and bring Benadryl as a decongestant. Also, bring vitamin C for an extra boost.

7. Sweater

It’s no secret it gets cold on airplanes — those air vents are the worst, IMO. Dress in layers, and bring an extra sweater or soft scarf for extra warmth. Scarves and sweaters can also double as pillows in some instances.

Have fun, be safe, and don’t forget your essentials!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.