Seeing Color: How Elaine Welteroth Claimed Her Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So, this is it. This is the article I’ve waited for. 

Chances are you are familiar with the Media Giant, Condé Nast. And if you’re not — maybe you should be. Whatever your favorite magazine is, whether it’s Vanity Fair, Vogue, Teen Vogue, or The New Yorker, Condé Nast is essentially their parent. 

And it’s been around for a very long time. Yet, in its 110 year history there’s only been a handful of African Americans to hold the title of editor-in-chief. And one of them, Elaine Welteroth, former editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, doubles as one of the youngest people to ever hold such a title.

Welteroth is iconic. Let’s discuss why.

I’d be lying if I said Welteroth didn’t epitomize literally all of my hopes and dreams. To see myself so perfectly reflected in an institution historically reserved for white beauty standards was exciting. Welteroth looked like me, wrote like I wanted to, and was bigger than the space she was born into. She was me. Or at least I hoped she could be. I want to be her someday.

During her time at Teen Vogue, Welteroth completely revolutionized the publication. Teen Vogue looks very different now in 2019 from what it did in 2016 before she took over. It’s now smart, socially-conscious, and important. It acknowledges that teen voices matter. Teens are the future, really. 

Since leaving Condé Nast, Welteroth has been involved with a multitude of projects. Currently, she is a judge on Project Runway. She also guest starred on an, arguably, very important Black-ish episode about nepotism. And this past summer she released her memoir, More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What they Say).

Photo Credit: Jazzy Gray

In her memoir, More Than Enough, Welteroth describes many of the obstacles she has overcome. She describes the process of becoming, well, more than enough. This book was (and probably still should be) my bible. And, honestly, everyones. She chronicles the struggles of growing up biracial in a space not designed for biracial children, the complexities of breaking into the beauty business, and even the difficulties of confronting some of her own privileges. It’s a beautiful book. A love letter, really, to any young girl who ever felt like she was more than the world wanted to offer her. Bigger than the space she was born into. Enough for her dreams.

Welteroth has done all things, it’s true. We love, respect, and continue to praise her for it. And the current editor-in-chief, Lindsay Peoples Wagner, continues on, encouraging young voices to speak their truths. 

And we will.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jazzy is a junior in the College of Communication at Boston University. The Minnesota native loves all kinds of fun things like coffee drinks, Beyoncé songs, and fictional books with strong female protagonists. If you like those things too, that's awesome! Please be her friend.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.