This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Just because you didn’t go through fall recruitment doesn’t mean you can’t be part of the GrƩƩk sisterhood! Spring recruitment is another chance for you join a sorority!  

Here are tips and tricks to help you along the way!

1. Be yourself!

The most important thing during recruitment is to be yourself! When you are talking with the Sisters, feel comfortable and talk how you would normally talk to your friends. Of course be on your best behavior, but being yourself is the best way for you and the Sisters to see if their sorority is the perfect fit for you.

2. Prepare

This can account for many things when going through recruitment. First impressions are important. While looks may not be everything, it is still imperative to present yourself polished and clean. Having wrinkled clothes and oily, unshowered hair is not the appropriate appearance. Dress to Impress! Plan out your outfit the day before and/or ask what other girls are wearing to get an idea of the event wardrobe. Also, bring a big bag with you; this bag is literally your survival kit for the entire recruitment process. Bring extra hair ties, Band-Aids, water, snacks, a charger, even a book, and definitely extra pairs of flats. Key necessity: Research on the sorority you plan to rush for.

3. Know how to make small talk

While this isn’t everyone’s favorite type of conversation, there will be a lot of small talk during recruitment. This may not seem important, but it actually is. Being able to hold a conversation means you can chat it up with anyone comfortably and confidently. And being in a sorority involves reaching out to many different people, inlcuding students and school officials.

4. Show off your best qualities

This may be a given, but people tend to forget to mention their personal qualities. You don’t need to be pretentious or full of yourself, but do give some credit and praise to yourself. When you are talking to the Sisters, mention your involvement in other clubs on campus, volunteer work, etc. Something small can go a long way. 

5. Don’t compare yourself with others

Going through recruitment with hundreds of other girls can be stressful. Just remember that you are YOU and no one else is. Don’t worry what other people think and remember the first tip: just be yourself.

6. Keep an open mind

Maybe you went into recruitment thinking you wanted a certain sorority, but then realized you fit better in another house, which is OKAY. The point of going through recruitment is to find a sorority that you like that suits you! Go into recruitment with an open mind and you’ll discover which sorority is right for you!

7. Trust your instincts

If you feel a connection with a sorority, then go for it! Don’t judge the sorority based on their reputation or what your friends think about it. Don’t rush a certain sorority just because your friends are or because it’s the “cool” one. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable with!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.