‘Rocky Aur Rani’: The Return Of Filmi Bollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a young South Asian, I have been subjected to many Bollywood movies by my parents.

These movies are full of heart, romance, and music that keep you so entertained you scarcely realize you’ve been sitting there for 3 hours. However, I’ve noticed that many new movies have lost the spark of their predecessors.

The music no longer stays in your head, the romance doesn’t immediately have you hooked, and the comedy at the heart of the movie no longer beats.

Rocky Aur Rani, supreme cheesy romantic director Karan Johar’s newest masterpiece, brings all that spirit and flavor back.

Rocky Aur Rani is the story of playboy bodybuilder Rocky (Ranveer Singh) and levelheaded journalist Rani (Alia Bhatt), who fall in love despite their differences. However, their families don’t get along.

To bridge this gap, they decide to live with each other’s families for 3 months. Through this experiment, they unravel the problems in each other’s families, learn new things about themselves, and fight for their love.

I watched Rocky Aur Rani in theaters, which added to the whole experience. The catchy music booming through the various dance numbers had me adding the whole soundtrack to my playlist as soon as I came out of the theater.

I also absolutely adored Rani’s sarees. She looked beautiful, and it was refreshing to see an Indian film heroine who didn’t need to be clothed in jeans and shirts to match her modern mindset. Her chemistry and love story with Rocky was incredible. Their fight for their love was something to be admired, as was their support for each other.

The most beautiful part of the movie, however, was the changes that occurred within the two families.

Rocky embraces being a dancer with the help of Rani’s father, learning that the masculinity his family emanated was holding him back. Meanwhile, Rani helps Rocky’s mother and sister follow their dreams after being downtrodden for so long.

Many Bollywood movies’ attempts to blend Old Bollywood and new ideas have been vastly unsuccessful, but I feel that Rocky Aur Rani was able to strike the perfect balance. The movie marked the return of “filmi Bollywood,” the dramatic and cheesy Indian film genre.

It had been so long since I looked forward to seeing an Indian movie in theaters, and I was right to be excited. Rocky Aur Rani revives Bollywood’s big, beating heart full of romance, vibrant colors, beautiful dance numbers, and witty comedy.

It blends classical characteristics with new ideals, making it a movie that everyone can enjoy!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets

Surmayee Thakur is a student Boston University. She works on the writing team and as an editor for HCBU. She enjoys covering a variety of topics including beauty, film and television, music, and her experience as a South Asian woman and a student. Surmayee is an English major, Public Health minor, and a premed student. She has worked as an English teacher and has a passion for writing and reading. She hopes to make healthcare a more accessible and communicative field. In her free time, Surmayee enjoys writing, listening to music, shopping, and reading. She's a fantasy/YA book, K-Drama, and South Asian media aficionado and she can often be found consuming either of the 3 voraciously in bed.