RIP Stan Lee—A Real Life Superhero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I remember watching my first Marvel movie nearly 5 years ago. I stumbled upon Avengers while scrolling through Netflix one night. From that moment on I was hooked. I’ve since watched every Marvel movie and show, and have grown a small collection of comic books.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

When the notification popped up on my phone, my heart stopped. I couldn’t possibly believe that someone who had such an impact on my life could have passed away.

Stan Lee is considered one of America’s most prolific storytellers. He has created so many household names such as Iron Man, Black Panther, Spider-man, and so many more.

Stan Lee, often considered a real-life superhero, has always emphasized the humanity of the heroes he created. He wanted to create comics that he himself would read. He had such a passion for his work which often shined through. He had a cameo in every Marvel movie. He just had to make a mark in everything he did.

Stan Lee also had a passion for his fans. He would often be found at various comic conventions, interacting with his fans.

Source: Comic List

Stan Lee meant so much to so many people around the world.

“I used to think what I did was not very important,” he told the Chicago Tribune. “People are building bridges and engaging in medical research, and here I was doing stories about fictional people who do extraordinary, crazy things and wear costumes. But I suppose I have come to realize that entertainment is not easily dismissed.”

I am incredibly thankful to Stan Lee. Because of his incredible stories, I have made so many friends over our shared love for Marvel.

Though, more importantly, they helped me bond with my dad. I didn’t have the best relationship with my dad. We just didn’t have anything in common and could never find a way to bond. When I gained an interest in Marvel and all the heroes created by Stan Lee, everything changed. We would go see the new Marvel movie the week it came out, every time. And my dad would take me to the comic book store to get the new Marvel comic I was reading.

Stan Lee has made an immeasurable impact on the world.  

Excelsior!

Rest in Peace, Stan Lee. You will be forever missed.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.