jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

REVIEW: Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s fall once again, which can only mean on thing: the return of Starbuck’s beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Collegiates everywhere are eager to enjoy that first sip of fall-in-a-cup, flocking to Starbucks to grab this seasonal drink.  But what if I told you that Starbucks wasn’t the only place you could go to satisfy your PSL addiction?  

That’s right, Starbucks isn’t the only coffee chain where PSL’s are served this autumn season. Dunkin Donuts makes a pumpkin latte too! While Dunkin Donuts may sell a Pumpkin Swirl Latte (as opposed to Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte), it’s still a PSL nonetheless. So which is better?  I did a taste test of both to find out.

First, I sampled Starbuck’s classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, recently revamped with real pumpkin as an ingredient. The latte starts with a sweet, foamy layer on the top, followed by the unmistakable, authentic pumpkin taste. Starbuck’s new recipe definitely escalates the pumpkin flavor, making the drink perfect for those who anticipate Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.  However, for those of you who would rather carve pumpkins than eat them, the new PSL may not be the signature fall drink for you.

After tasting the classic, I decided to try Dunkin Donut’s version of this fall drink, and ordered its Pumpkin Swirl Latte.  From the first sip, I could tell that Dunkin Donut’s version is definitely sweeter than Starbucks, and had more of the sugary taste of fall, the season that brings us Halloween and all the candy that comes with it! The Pumpkin Swirl Latte certainly tastes more like a treat than a caffeine pick-me-up, tasting less like coffee and more like a pumpkin dessert. Having tasted both, I’ve made a decision about my favorite PSL. While it may be an unpopular opinion, Dunkin Donuts’s Pumpkin Swirl Latte has my vote. Because who doesn’t want a little more sweetness to cuddle up with on a chilly fall day? 

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.