This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Trends come and go on TikTok basically every week; there are the dances, the jokes, the problematic creators’ newest scandals… every week, there’s something new to keep us from getting bored. My favorite recent trend, however, has been the growing popularity of Harry Potter videos on TikTok, otherwise known as PotterTok. As someone who grew up loving the series, having reread the books and rewatched the movies countless times, I love seeing other people show the same amount of love towards the characters and plots that I know and love so well. 

So, what sort of trends are on PotterTok? 

Dressing Up as the Characters

Possibly my favorite trend, many TikToks have gone viral of people dressing up as Harry Potter characters or based on houses, but the 21st-century version. The outfits are so spot-on and stylish, it’s definitely given me some outfit inspiration. Here are some of my favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

Self-Inserts

Who doesn’t want to go to Hogwarts? Many TikTok creators have gone viral for self-inserting themselves into the universe, sometimes to poke fun at the lack of modernity in the Harry Potter universe 9since it takes place in the 90s) or just to make fun of the author’s lack of diversity (or her misuse of it). They’re pretty hilarious and diverse, too. Here are some of the most viral self-insert TikToks: 1, 2, 3, 4!

Love Triangle POVs

The most popular Harry Potter trend at the moment is the love triangle POVs. Creators put themselves into the series, almost always in a love triangle, or create the video so that the viewers can imagine themselves in the video. Some of the POVs have multiple parts, too, drawing on the storyline into multiple videos. Everyone seems to be mainly stuck between Harry, Ron, Cedric (my personal favorite) and Draco. Draco seems to be loved the most out of the four and even has his own section: DracoTok. Draco TikToks have gone viral so often that Tom Felton, the actor that played Draco, has noticed and commented on many! Here are my favorite love triangle POVs about the Yule Ball, Snape’s daughter, best friends, and Cedric Diggory.

If you’re a Harry Potter fan like me, I’m sure you’re either already on PotterTok or want to be. If you want to start getting some on your feed, just start liking a few under the Harry Potter hashtag! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Caitlynn Tibbetts is a freshman at Boston University, planning to major in Finance and Global Business. She has been published in the Florida English Journal and Parkland Speaks. Coming from South Florida, she’s excited to join and explore the city of Boston and everything it has to offer.