This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We have seen this phenomena more often than not. One of your friends or a woman you know does something you do not approve of, and you make a judgmental comment. It may be about her sex life, appearance, social activities, education, behavior, or any number of things. We do it to women we know, women we see, women in the media, women everywhere. But here’s an idea: What if we all just…stopped?

This world is riddled with double standards for women:

You don’t want to be the girl who doesn’t hook up with anyone because then you’re a prude. But if you have sex with too many people, then you’re a whore.

You don’t want to wear pajamas every day because then you’re a slob. But you don’t want to wear a full face of makeup and heels because then you’re high maintenance.

You don’t want to not drink or do drugs at all because then you’re a straight edge and a party pooper. But you don’t want to party too much because then you’re too wild.

You need to be opinionated so that you’re not “a pushover” but not too opinionated because then you’re “controlling.”

I could go on and on and on….

But what if we just didn’t care? What if we looked at all other women and instead of saying snarky, snide comments, we just let it go? If it’s not harming anyone else, couldn’t we just ignore it?

Imagine what the world would be like. Imagine how much more free we would all feel. Imagine living your life without worrying that people you know will judge you for it. It sounds unbelievable. But in reality, it would be pretty easy.

We cannot stop our brains from judging people, but we can control our reaction. We can silently think it and then move on. We do not have to perpetuate this culture. 

You don’t have to agree with or approve of other women’s choices, but you should respect them. Their choices are theirs and not yours so it is not your place to spread judgment.

Catrin is a freshman at Boston University. Although she is a British citizen, she considers Boulder, Colorado as her hometown. She is pursuing a degree in International Relations in the College of Arts and Sciences with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's studies. She is a lover of cats, theatre, the outdoors, and beauty products. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.