Culture > News

Remembering The Victims: The Boston Marathon Bombing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Content warning: This article mentions violence, death, and mental health.

April 15, 2023, marks the 10-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy. 

The Boston Marathon bombing was a domestic terrorist attack that occurred during the annual Boston Marathon held in Boston, Mass. Two homemade pressure-cooker bombs went off near the finish line of the marathon where families and spectators gathered in unknowing anticipation for the runners. 

Three people were killed as a result of the bombing — 8-year-old Martin Richard, 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell. 260 people were wounded, with many of the victims needing amputation, along with mental health consulting. Lu Lingzi was a Chinese graduate student studying at Boston University when she was killed. 

Unfortunately, in the realm of media coverage, there is a tendency to prioritize the perpetrator, rather than placing a focus on the victims of the event. Especially with the high-profile legal proceedings against the bombers, the Tsarnaev Brothers, it seemed like the victims faded into the background. This phenomenon is rampant, exemplified by the current continuous production of documentaries that focus on serial killers and criminals. 

Moreover, the political discourse following the Boston Marathon bombing appeared to marginalize the victims’ stories. With lawmakers and politicians using the bombing and comparable events to advance their own agendas, such as pushing stricter immigration measures, addressing the immediate aftermath of a disaster is not enough to prioritize victims in politics. 

Victims of the Boston Marathon bombing needed and continue to need comprehensive and meaningful support. In today’s fast-paced news environment, shifting our attention from one event to another is easier than ever. It is imperative to remember that despite a decade passing, most of the Boston Marathon bombing victims are still living among us. This tragedy is still relevant in our political conversations.

It is only through acknowledging their real-life experiences that we can work towards a more compassionate society that prioritizes the mental health and humanity of all its members, particularly those who have suffered at the hands of senseless violence. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!