A Reflection on My Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My semester in Boston was more than just a semester abroad: it was also my last semester at university! I’m starting an internship in January and if everything goes according to plan, I will get my master’s degree in July. Fingers crossed! During my time as a student, I had the opportunity to study and intern abroad, both in Europe and in the US, and these were the best times of my life!

So, if you are still thinking about whether or not you should study abroad, my answer is: go for it girl! And for all of you who have already made the decision, I hope you will find my advice useful!

Tip #1: Save money before you go

Depending on where you are going and how much your university pays for it, studying abroad can be really expensive. University fees, travel, and housing expenses, nights out, etc., it all adds up pretty fast! I always create a budget before traveling, so I know exactly how much I need to save. Trust me, you don’t want money issues to come between you and your perfect semester abroad.

I am not saying that you will spend everything you save, but it helps a lot to know what you can afford. You should also apply for any scholarship your home university or the university you are going to offer. It can make a big difference in your budget!

Tip #2: Travel as much as you can

During my semester in Boston, I traveled to big cities like Washington DC and New York City. Seeing the White House with my own eyes was definitely amazing! I am also going to Miami after finals (probably the best way to celebrate my last finals ever). I even went abroad to Montreal, Canada, which is definitely like home far away from home! Day trips to smaller towns were also amazing!

All these trips were pretty expensive but I don’t regret any of them. The memories I made are far more valuable than all the Sephora orders in the world. And I do love Sephora. A lot.

Tip #3: Always pack light

The memories are not the only things I am going to bring back home! Think about all the freebies, the makeup (I still saved some money for those Sephora orders!), and all the trips to Primark. I haven’t started to pack yet, but I am already glad I didn’t bring too many things with me in the first place.

Tip #4: Join clubs

I had already studied and interned abroad before moving to Boston and I know how difficult it can be to meet new people. Think about what makes you happy, what you want to fight for or what skills you want to learn, and you will find a club that fits you. Joining Her Campus was one of the best decisions I ever made. I knew I wanted an outlet to share my voice and what I care about. Her Campus gave me so much more, I now feel like I am part of a community of talented women.

Tip #5: Don’t forget that you are eventually going home

Studying is a big part of studying abroad. It may not be the most fun, but it is important nonetheless. Choose your courses carefully, so you have both a nice schedule and a good learning experience. Your extra-curricular activities can also make a difference. While I was looking for an internship, being part of Her Campus at BU writing team was a big plus on my resume!

Home is also your parents and your friends. Don’t forget about them!  I personally know that texting my parents and letting them know about my life is something I tend to forget about when I am abroad. Skype, text, or call them, they will be so happy to know that you are having the time of your life!    

Studying abroad is the best and I promise you will never regret it!

Iris, we love you!! Thank you for everything that you have done for HCBU and we will miss you so so much. HCXO!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Iris is an Exchange Student at Boston University and is getting her Master's degree in Digital Marketing. Originally from France, she is really excited to discover Boston. She is passionate about Feminism, Queer issues, and Fashion. In her free time, Iris can be found Thrifting, watching TV shows, and Baking. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.