Reflecting on My Time at BU Before I Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

You always think of how excited you’ll be when a new experience starts. There’s a whirlwind of items to check off a list, ensuring you’re prepared for whatever comes your way. And that’s what it’s like to start college. You’re nervous to move away from home and adjust to dorm life. You can’t wait to have more freedom and feel like an adult. The friends and memories awaiting you seem unimaginable. 

You never think of what it’ll be like when it’s over. Will it be hard to say goodbye? Will you be happy with the way things ended? Will you wish you had more or feel like you made the absolute best of your time? Or, will you already be anticipating the next step of your life? 

Now that I’m officially graduating in a matter of weeks, I’m not even sure what I feel. It’s strange to imagine not walking into a first day of class, or heading to a club meeting followed by a dining hall meet up afterwards. 

Right now, it’s the little things I’m remembering.

Boston Traditions

My time at BU was filled with so many traditions. I’m thinking about the one snow day we had during my time at BU. And the hot summer nights in Warren Towers that I wouldn’t trade for anything. Those Marathon Mondays and weekends exploring the city are priceless memories. 

Her Campus

Her Campus especially holds a special place in my heart. I remember the first time I walked into a meeting of the group when I was a freshman (back when things were in person of course), and I instantly felt like I belonged. Her Campus allowed me to pursue my passion for writing and gave me the courage to change my major to journalism. The classes I attended after that switch were places where I felt safe and invigorated. I loved meeting classmates and organizing times to go out into the field and conduct interviews for class assignments. I even had a piece published in a local newspaper! 

Because of my involvement in Her Campus, I was connected with a community that extended far beyond the limits of Comm. Ave. I was able to join Campus Trendsetters and collaborate with brands like Nintendo and Grubhub! I even had the chance to walk in the Her Campus College Fashion Week during my sophomore fall semester.

Professional Opportunities

Feeling empowered to use my voice and continue in the field of communications opened up a world of possibilities for me. I never could have imagined that during my time at BU I would intern at a Fortune 500 company and be an ambassador for Razor Scooter, Xfinity, Venmo, Rent the Runway, BEARPAW Shoes, and JBL! I was invited to speak about my experiences by the College of Communication in one of their #COMTalk panels. I had the chance to do a Terrier Takeover on the BU Instagram, create content for their YouTube channel, and be featured in fun videos where I carved a pumpkin and tried new foods. I was even mentioned in articles for BU Today and the BU COMmunicator!

Campus Life

I truly feel like I made the best of my time at BU. I dipped my toes in EVERYTHING! On top of these experiences, I participated in the FYSOP program and was an orientation leader. I lived in basically every area on campus at some point (if you don’t believe me: Warren Towers, Myles, Rich Hall, South Campus, and StuVi1 & 2), and I have learned that moving never gets any easier. 

So, those are all the little things, but they make up one big unforgettable story. The story of a girl from a small town in New Hampshire who found her way in a city she now knows like the back of her hand. I’m so excited for more time in this beautiful place. My experiences at BU taught me about the things I want, what I value and believe, and the person I want to be as I go out into this world and leave college life. Thank you BU, for the most unforgettable four years. Once a Terrier, always a Terrier. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!