Ranking the Top Movie Musicals of the 2000s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

One trend that seems be coming back full force lately is the movie musical! Over the past few years many shows have been transformed from stage to screen from extravagant blockbusters to romantic indie hits. Here’s a list looking at which films are really worth your time to watch and sing along to. 

10. Moulin Rouge (2001)

Moulin Rouge takes an untraditional jukebox approach to the musical by using well-known pop songs and love ballads reimagined in the setting of a Paris entertainment hall in the early 20th century. The film is often over the top and kitschy, but it’s full of unexpected moments and bright, dramatic imagery.

9.  Hairspray (2007)

Hairspray is an adorably upbeat and mood-boosting film filled with huge dance numbers and a great message about being yourself and overcoming the odds. Also Zac Efron can definitely pull of the 60s television host look. 

8. Phantom of the Opera (2004)

Phantom is a gorgeously designed dramatic tale of love and obsession set in a famous Paris opera house. But while many of the films actors were perfect fits for their roles like Emmy Rossum as sweet ingénue Christine, Gerard Butler’s phantom was a bit weak on vocals and he appeared to be suffering from some mild sunburn rather than a truly horrifying facial deformity.

7. Once (2007)

Once is a lesser well-known musical film about a complicated love story between a struggling guitar player and an immigrant flower seller. The film’s soundtrack has a mellow, alternative rock vibe and it has the honor of being one of the very few shows to start out as a movie and then later transfer to Broadway.

6. Dreamgirls (2006)

Dreamgirls features a catchy mow-town inspired score and a fascinating plot inspired by the real life struggles of the famous girl group The Supremes. Its cast is absolutely incredible, starring Jennifer Hudson in an Oscar winning performance as well as the lovely and endlessly talented Beyoncé.

5. The Last Five Years (2015)

This recently released flick stars Tony nominated Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan a recently married couple whose relationship begins to fall apart. The is heartbreakingly told both in forward and reverse time, with Kendrick’s character beginning at the end of the marriage while Jordan’s story moves forward from their first date.

4. Into the Woods (2014)

Anna Kendrick also plays a part in Into the Woods an incredibly clever adventure story that combines the tales of all the classic fairytale characters. Although it might sound light and whimsical, this musical actually takes some dark and fascinating turns all while being tied together with witty jokes and beautiful songs written by Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim.  

3. Chicago (2002)

Starring Renèe Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones as seductive, murderous inmates in the 1920s. Everything about the vintage style of this film is engaging and the songs are each given their own breathtaking choreography that matches perfectly with the tone. This 2002 Best Picture winner is definitely one to check out.

2. Les Miserables (2012)

Les Miserables grabbed attentions worldwide for being the first high profile movie musical to have its actors sing live while filming rather than use prerecorded tracks.This risk paid off as the characters in the film all felt emotional and personal as a part of the much larger, complicated revolutionary story.

1. Sweeney Todd (2007)

Combining the brilliant original songs of Stephen Sondheim with the signature dark fairytale style of director Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd mixes together all the dramatic elements of theatre with the more subtle details of film. Although a story about a murderous barber may not at first seem appealing to anyone, this vengeful and emotional musical deserves a spot on everyone’s much-watch list! 

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis