This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve seen almost every meme about how being quarantined sucks and while I actually related hard to all of that quality content on Instagram (especially with my birthday falling in the same week!), what I thought would be a blah birthday turned out to be one of my fondest memories. I’ve come to think that maybe being cooped up at home for a bit may not be all that bad! 

For starters, I’m so happy and thankful to be able to be reunited with my family, especially since studying on the other side of the globe means I don’t really get to see them other than for winter and summer break. We’ve spent this time catching up over my favorite home-cooked meals, watching new shows, and playing games. Quite honestly, I can’t remember the last time we did this without any distractions and I wouldn’t trade all this quality time spent with them for anything. In fact, while I was initially sad that I couldn’t meet my friends to celebrate my birthday this year (social distancing ftw), I spent the day with my family, ate some of my favorite food, and spent the evening playing some fun games. Honestly, family fun just hits different. 

Unsplash

Don’t get me wrong, while I do love spending time with people and chatting away, I also just love my alone-time. So, as weird as this one may be, I’m really thankful that I get to sleep in my own bed, in my own room, and just do my own thing in my safe space! In fact, I almost forgot what a good night’s sleep feels like. Contrary to most people, quarantining has actually made me so much more productive without feeling the stress of all my work — it’s a miracle, I know! 

After almost a month of putting my music on the backburner because of midterms and all the other baggage that comes with being a college student, spending my days at home has inspired me to get back to making music and singing again and I’m so glad, I did because it has truly just made me feel happier and mentally restored during a time like this, when it’s very easy to get into a slump and feel sluggish. 

No Music No Life Neon Sign
Photo by Simon Noh on Unsplash

So, I guess I’m trying to say even though it’s easy to look at how bad things are, given the current situation, make the most of it! Let this be your opportunity to grow, learn new things, and rediscover yourself! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.