This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The first time I left home overnight was in sixth grade for my class’s annual Disney trip. It was both exciting and equally terrifying. I had never left home by myself before, and I spent a lot of time contemplating how my family would handle themselves without me. They would be just fine. I was twelve.

Credit: Architectural Digest

That trip was short, just four days, but I felt as though I came back a different person. I almost didn’t want to come home. I would have been perfectly happy to stay a few more days.

The next trip I took was a month long. This one was harder, and I cried both leaving home and going back. It’s always hard for me to leave a place where I’ve adjusted, and I’ve begun to wonder what it means to be at home.

I’ve developed the ability to make “home” anywhere— I could be somewhere for a year or just a couple hours, and I’ve figured out how to make myself comfortable. I know how to make myself feel at home. But, I’ve also developed the ability to easily leave that place of contentment and shift into a state of mind where I’m okay. But, I do eventually need a home base to feel properly contented.

Credit: Creative United

So what constitutes home? It’s a safe space, as far as I know. It’s a place for me to unwind and feel safe, at least for a little while.

In Part 2, I will explore more psychological aspects of the term “home” so stay tuned!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Anchita is a freshman at Boston University, studying business with a concentration in entrepreneurship. Her hobbies include reading and writing.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.