Perks of Attending a Large School like BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The debate’s been going on for years: is it better to go to a large college or a small one? While small colleges definitely have their advantages, here are some reasons why attending a large school is a good idea: 

1. Large class selections 

A bigger school usually means more professors, colleges, and majors. And with that comes a greater variety of classes than you might get with a smaller school. Going to a large school gives you the opportunity to explore your interests and try out different things, so make sure to take advantage of it! 

2. Living in a community 

There’s something about going to a school where the student population rivals a small town that makes the college seem like its own separate entityWalking around and seeing your peers sporting your school gear, really drives home the idea that you’re with your new family for the next four years. 

3. Camaraderie 

When living amongt so many people, your campus is basically its own town. With that comes a bond among students that exists even among those who’ve never met. Both with fellow students and alumni, its easy to feel like you have a place when you’re linked to everyone around you

4. Lots to do 

How can a school keep thousands of young adults occupied during the school year? By throwing fun events! There’s lots to do when you attend a big school; from Weeks of Welcome, to school hosted events, to nights out with friends! You’re never without a plan!

5. Diverse population  

While you will definitely find people with different viewpoints than you, you will also be able to find classmates with similar interests as well. You’ll find that, in college, there will be many like-minded people around you— and in a large school, you should be able to find these people more easily. Being able to bond with people you have things in common with is definitely an advantage.  

All in all, your college experience is what you make it. In choosing between a large school and a small school, it can all come down to a matter of personal preference. Though there are advantages to both sides, attending a large school has many benefits, and you defintely won’t regret it!  

Jessica is a senior at Boston University, studying in the School of Communication with a major in Mass Communication, a minor in Cinema & Media Studies and is on the Pre-Law Track. She made the move from Westchester, NY to Boston, and is living in a constant fear of the impending winter. When not in class, she could be found obsessing over Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, making poorly timed puns, or drinking an excess of tea.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.