Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Perfect Fit — Finding the Right Contraception for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With so many options available for birth control, it can be overwhelming and confusing in deciding which one is for you. Here’s a briefing on a few types of contraception and their potential pros and cons. 

The Pill (contains estrogen and progestin)

Credit: medicalxpress.com

Pros: It can help with cramps and even lighten and regulate your period. It is known to help control hormonal acne. You can stop taking it whenever you need or want. Can lessen the risk of infections and ovarian cancer.

Cons: Has to be taken daily, which can be a hassle. It has an adjustment period that can be physically and emotionally tolling.

The Patch (contains estrogen and progestin)

Credit: via.com

Pros: You need to put it on only once a week, much easier than the pill.  Like the pill, helps with cramps and will lighten and regulate your period. Can lessen the risk of infections and ovarian cancer. You can stop taking it whenever you need or want.

Cons: Has to be put on once a week. It has a similar adjustment period to the pill which can cause negative side effects.

The Nuvaring (contains estrogen and progestin)

Credit: fpnsw.au.org

Pros: Can be put in for up to 5 weeks. You can choose to skip your period on it. Can lessen the risks of infections and ovarian cancer. Known to help control hormonal acne. You can stop taking it whenever you need or want.

Cons: It can be easy to forget when to replace it since it is in longer than most contraceptives. It has a similar adjustment period as the patch and the pill.

The Shot (contains progestin)

Credit: verywellhealth.com

Pros: Only needs to be done every 3 months. Is known for making periods lighter or stopping them altogether. Can stop getting the shot whenever you need or want.

Cons: Need to go to a doctor to get the shot. A similar adjustment period to other hormonal contraceptives.

Copper Intrauterine Device aka. IUD (non-hormonal)

Credit: insider.com

Pros: After inserted it can last up to 12 years without maintenance. Can be used as emergency contraception. It is hormone-free, which means it will not cause negative hormonal side effects.

Cons: Needs a scheduled appointment to be inserted and taken out. Will have a physical adjustment period that can include heavier bleeding, cramping and irregular periods. Can be painful to insert.

Hormonal Intrauterine Device aka. IUD (contains progestin)

Credit: fpnsw.au.org

Pros: Lasts from 3-7 years depending on the brand without maintenance. Can be used as emergency contraception. Can lessen the risks of infections and ovarian cancer. Known to help control hormonal acne. It can help with cramps and even lighten and regulate your period.

Cons: Needs a scheduled appointment to be inserted and taken out. Adjustment period may cause side effects based on the addition of hormones and the physical IUD placement. Can pe painful to insert.

The Implant (contains progestin)

Credit: thecut.com

Pros: Lasts up to five years without maintenance. Known as the most effective birth control with a 99% effective rate. It can help with cramps and even lighten and regulate your period. Some people even have their periods stop altogether.

Cons: Needs a scheduled appointment to be implanted and taken out. Can cause spotting for up to one year after insertion. The insertion can be painful and causes bruising.

Not ready to decide on contraception? Make an appointment with your gynecologist and voice your questions and concerns with a licensed professional.

All facts cited from Planned Parenthood, click here to learn more about these contraceptives.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Taylor is a freshman at BU with a dual degree in International Relations and Journalism. She loves vegan food, writing poetry and art museums.