An Open Letter to Hillary Clinton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton,

I am writing you this letter with a heavy heart. Yes, it is heavy with the sting of loss, but also with something more. It is heavy with pride. Pride in our movement, pride in our family of supporters, and most importantly pride in you. You have devoted your entire life to public service. You have given so much to this country, and you have loved it with everything you have. I assure you, it loves you back.

Still, I am so sorry on behalf of every single one of your supporters that you did not earn the position you so clearly deserved. We tried our hardest, we showed up to the polls in higher numbers, but still the system failed us. You did not fail us. As much as this brings frustration to my soul, it also brings comfort. Love did trump hate. The majority of the electorate stood up and proudly proclaimed that we will not accept hatred to reign over America, proudly proclaimed that we are stronger together, proudly proclaimed “I’m with her”. And we are still with you.

When the news first broke of our loss I felt defeated and hopeless. Then I woke up the next day and felt angry and betrayed. However, after listening to your elegant and dignified concession speech, I realized how far from over this movement really is. I am not going to sit down. I will not be silenced. I am going to get involved, make my voice heard, and help save the incredible progress our country has made in recent years. I fight for women. I fight for minorities. I fight for equality.

I fight for you.

Thank you, Hillary, from the bottom of my heart for restoring my faith in this country after your opponent shattered it. He has brought so much hate into my life and every life in America…except perhaps yours. You never let his message pollute your own. You have remained a shining beacon, happily carrying all of the burdens of this election on your shoulders so that they may be lifted off of us. America owes you a great debt, for you pushed us through this draining and heartbreaking time all with your same message of love and unity. I will continue to fight for that message.

Your opponent truly did make me lose my love for America and all of its political institutions, so much so that I considered giving up my long-held dream of being in politics. And how could I not? His campaign was divisive and toxic and that toxicity corroded my faith in my own home. But then you reminded me that I can never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it. You have not only made me believe in myself again, but in America again.

We are not a perfect nation, but we are lucky to have leaders like you to extend a hand and lift us up when we make mistakes. America made a mistake this past Tuesday, and we will soon realize just how big it was. I am so sorry Hillary. You deserved so much better. You deserved the presidency. Yet still, you only look at this country with love and respect and I can only repay you by doing the same.

Yes, I am angry. But instead of remaining angry I am going to be the change I want to see in this country. And that is all thanks to you. All thanks to the woman from humble beginnings who never quit, and never let a man tell her she was not good enough. You have just opened so many doors for girls like me, and I can only hope to one day become strong enough to walk in your footsteps.

I am proud that I voted for you in this election, and it pains me that you are not the first female president of the United States of America. You were overqualified, dignified, and you will be forever immortalized as the woman who became a champion for all women.

I will continue to fight for everything you believe in, we all will. Thank you for teaching me that my voice matters, and my dreams can be achieved. I will not let you down. I will try to make you proud, as you have made me. Congratulations on making history. I feel blessed to have been able to make it with you.

Endless love and gratitude,

A friend.

P.S. I’m still with her.

Note:  The mailing address is below if you would like to send Hillary a physical letter. I did.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary for America

Post Office Box 5256

New York, NY 10185

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.