Life > Experiences

Online Friends Can Be Real Friends, Despite What Your Parents Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We live in a time where the internet is a part of daily life—we use it to find answers, post updates about our lives and communicate with friends and family. Thus, it’s not uncommon to make connections with people you wouldn’t have met otherwise. If you’re a gamer, many times you’ll meet people from all over the world and communicate with them on a regular basis. If you’re a blogger, you’ll find yourself sharing your interests with people who comment on your posts. Whatever the case may be, if you use social media often and in a way that lets you reach many people, you’ll probably find yourself with some unexpected friendships.

I personally have met several people online through sharing my interests on a variety of platforms, like Instagram. These are people who live all over the world, and who I would never have met otherwise. It’s a bit weird to say you’re friends with someone that you’ve never met in person, but honestly, it’s the world we live in today. There are many ways to connect with people that mimic what you would do in-person so that relationships are able to flourish and grow normally. And, if situations allow, there’s always a good chance you’ll end up hanging out with them in person, too. Coincidentally, I’ve met one of my good friends that way!

It’s probably more difficult for older generations to understand, but for younger generations, it’s really becoming a norm. Think about dating apps like Hinge or Tinder – you’re building a relationship with someone based off of personal interests that match, and then meeting them in person! It’s the same concept, though dating apps may be a bit more sped up.

I’m beyond thankful for all of the people I’ve met online. Many have comforted me during rough times, and I know I’ve done the same for them. I’ve met so many beautiful, incredible people that share the same interests as I do through ways that weren’t available even 10 years ago. Out of the people I have a close relationship to, I have at least five close friends who are “online friends.” Nonetheless, I talk to them every day and find that they’re no different from someone I would have befriended in-person.

Disclaimer: Obviously, it’s important to be safe when it comes to meeting people online. We’re in a day and age where it’s relatively easy and safe to get to know a person well enough to make a smart, educated decision.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.