OMG Have You Heard Harry Styles’ New Song?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Harry Styles debuted two unreleased tracks, “Anna” and “Medicine,” last week in Paris during one of his concerts and “Medicine” is fueling bisexual rumors. As a Harry Styles fanatic who has had a crush on him since his first days on X-Factor, if he is gay, I won’t end up as his future girlfriend. Despite my pining to be with Harry, I totally shipped him and his former bandmate Louis Tomlinson. When One Direction was on tour fans went crazy at the thought of Louis and Harry together. Their bromance was the cutest thing ever, so if Harry is gay, can he please end up with Louis? 

Rumors have always fluttered around Styles and he has made minimal attempts at clearing any misunderstandings up.  He has been a big supporter of the LGBTQ community, wearing a rainbow flag during one of his concerts and he also told The Sun that he doesn’t feel like he needs to define his sexuality.  Hats off to Harry who unlike many celebrities is not defining himself based on his sexuality, but his talent and worth as a person.  YOU GO HARRY!

Harry wastes no time beating around the bush in “Medicine” as he sings,

“The boys and the girls are here

I mess around with them

And I’m okay with it.”

I have never been so shook in my life.  He’s “messing” around with boys and girls and I. am.here. for. It.  Obviously, I intensely rewatched the video of Harry singing the song, but what I noticed is that at another concert he sang this and sounded so much more comfortable.  The first time he sang this song he was more quiet and reserved, but when he sang it for the second time he just rocked out. I don’t know if he saw all of the love an support he got from this song on social media, but there was definitely something that made Harry feel more confident singing this song.  I mean, I would be nervous too if this was my “coming out” song. Although he hasn’t confirmed anything, all fingers point to Harry coming out as bisexual in the best way possible.

Despite his lyrics about hooking up with boys, Harry has been linked to famous ladies like Taylor Swift, Kendall Jenner, and Cara Delevingne.  In an interview with British GQ, Styles shut down rumors he was bisexual: “Bisexual? Me? I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure I’m not.”  Whether Harry is bi or not, the outpouring of support he got from his fans was amazing.

Fans took to Twitter and freaked out after the song was released.  

I’m currently taking a few women’s studies courses and my class and I have discussed why so many people care what other people’s sexual orientation is.  It shouldn’t matter how you identify yourself, but I can’t help but want to know every detail about the meaning and inspiration behind this song? Was this inspired by some lucky guy or is he just playing us right now?  Harry if you’re reading this can you please just tell us if you’re bi or not! I’m on the edge of my seat.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I am a senior studying broadcast journalism at Boston University
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.