An Ode to “Hotumn”: The Most Confusing Season of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Hotumn,

I am writing you this letter because I am very cold, and I just miss your presence. Yes, global warming is concerning — excuse me, where are the polar bears? Do you feel bad about rising sea levels? Do you feel as though you have anything to do with the recent slew of natural disasters? Do you have any personal connections to melting ice caps? But I still miss Hotumn.

Additionally, I would like to know when I can put away my summer clothes? As much as I love you, I would like to put away some of my clothes, because I don’t have much space to spare.

Photo Credit: K. Hatanaka, Flickr

Also, do you have any snowy friends coming to visit? I would like to know in advance if we’re expecting anyone else to come through this year. If it’s going to be extra cold this winter, I need to know.

I don’t know why I wore a t-shirt and a skirt to sit outside at my late October birthday dinner, but honestly, I’m not complaining. I don’t know why it was so hot all throughout late September and October… maybe it was global warming, fake news or a mixture of the two.

As I’m preparing for my third winter in Boston, I tried to appreciate the weather as much as I could. I will miss the 80 degree October days.

Photo Credit: Neiljs, Flickr

Oh, Hotumn, I will think of you when it’s been 18 degrees for 2 weeks straight and I am a frozen, beantown icicle. I bought gloves the other day, knowing your strange warm presence has left me for the coldness of winter.

While I am looking forward to the “dairy-free” hot chocolate, and “vegan” holiday cookies that winter brings, I will always think of you and be reminded of how you kept me, someone who is perpetually cold, warm for an additional 2 months.

Farewell for now,

Sara G, frozen terrier

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Cover photo credit: Liz West, Flickr

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.