No Secret: Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert Are Broken Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no secret that Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are broken up. They went from country music’s #relationshipgoals to the breakup of the decade in just four short years. Since they are both extremely talented, famous artists, it was no surprise when they both voiced their feelings about the divorce – in the form of a song.

At 39 years old, Blake wrote the breakup song of his lifetime – and it was a hard-hitting one. In his song, “She’s Got A Way With Words,” he really gets the message across that he thinks Miranda screwed things up between them. At the time the song was released, suspicions were high that Miranda had cheated on Blake. He admitted to various magazines that the song was, in fact, about Miranda. The chorus goes: “She put the her in hurt, she put the why in try, she put the S-O-B in sober, she put the hang in hangover. She put the ex in sex, she put the low in blow, she put a big F-U in my future. Yeah, she’s got a way with words.”

In the same album,​ ​If I’m Honest, Blake also made it clear that he was quick to move forward with new girlfriend, Gwen Stefani. The breakup song was just one track on his newest album, which actually is predominantly about falling in love (again). A happy ending!

… At least for one half of the former couple. Miranda’s side of the story comes forth in a much sadder way. Contrary to her usual style, her song, “Vice,” speaks to the heart in an honest, somehow defeated way. Even her voice sounds less “I’m a badass,” and more, “I ruined everything.” This is especially evident in her lines, “If you need me, I’ll be where my reputation don’t precede me,” and, “Standing in the sink, not looking in the mirror; don’t know where I am or how I got here. The only thing that I know how to find is another vice.”

It seems that between the tabloid gossip and the suggestive songs, no one will ever know what really happened between country music’s dream duo. But one thing I do know is that everyone can agree on one thing: we’re sad it’s over, but grateful for the new music!

Ashley McDonald is currently a freshman studying at Boston University. She is an aspiring journalist, music fanatic, foodie, and shopping enthusiast.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.