Newbury Street’s Hidden Gems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every Boston girl lives, breathes and thrives on Newbury Street. It’s the mecca and center of everything that is everything for us. There are places to blow money we don’t have, great restaurants to add up those calories and it makes for a beautiful walk to the Boston Public Gardens. You might think you know the street inside and out, but I have a few places that I like to call my “Hidden Gems.” They’re the perfect remedy for a bad break up or poor test grade, but also the best way to pamper yourself after a long week.

First things first, you’ll need a cute new outfit for the spring. I know it just snowed; however, better safe than sorry, right? I have three favorite places that you might miss if you’re looking for just brand names. First of all, Crush Boutique is a classic Newbury Street spot for the local shopper located at 264. Although it is a bit pricey featuring items from Free People and BCBG, the clothes are just too trendy to walk past. If you’re looking for something more affordable, but just as unique a place I found last year is Lipstick, located at 293. It is a small store with helpful staff and too many cute dresses to count. My latest (and favorite) discovery is No Rest For Bridget, which just opened at 220 Newbury. If I my entire closet could be pulled from one store it would hands-down be No Rest For Bridget (sorry J.Crew). It’s time for spring-cleaning so out with the old, every day brands and in with a chic summertime outfit no one else has.

With your new dress, you’ll need to partake in the next best lavish girly activity other than shopping – the mani pedi. I’ve been in hot pursuit of the best location on Newbury and Paradise Nails & Spa has completely won me over. It’s located on the second floor of 215 Newbury so it’s somewhat hard to spot. Don’t be too shy though – just ring the door and the owners will let you right up. The spa is incredibly clean and offers such a relaxing atmosphere. The prices aren’t bad either – a natural manicure and pedicure is only $30!

Finally, spring break is over so it’s time to indulge. One of my favorite spots isn’t even on Newbury Street. L.A. Burdick is a little shop located on 220 Clarendon Street (right next to the H&M on Newbury).  L.A. Burdick looks like a chocolate cottage straight out of a Disney story. The interior design is so cute and welcomes you right in. They have everything dipped, doused and coated in chocolate, as well as delicious hot chocolates to sip on while you decide on your treat of choice. Although I’ll always have a sweet spot for Georgetown Cupcakes, L.A. Burdick is much less crowded and way more worth it.

We may not have 5th Ave, but Newbury Street isn’t too shabby either. It has a collection of brand name stores you’re well aware of, but I think the small boutiques and specialty shops are what give Newbury its character and charm. So make sure you explore – and splurge! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.