“New Girl” Lessons from a Senior to a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you are a fan of FOX’s “New Girl,” you know Jess’s journey from the awkward, new girl to the still awkward, yet fun, roommate of three bros. Over the course of three seasons, Jess has had highs and lows, but she always kept going with a little help from her friends. In college, freshmen live for THE experiences, but freshies should know the first things of adapting to a “new” environment and dealing with more highs than lows. With words from a senior, here are a few tips to consider to have upperclassmen go from saying, “Who’s that girl?” to “Hey, it’s [insert your name]!” Hashtag excitement.

First: How seniors and juniors are likely to react to the fresh batch of fish.

Sorry, focus. Now to the tips:

This may come as a given, but water is important for the mind and face. Nick Miller can back me up on this one. When you are constantly navigating your way around campus, running to catch the BUS or climbing the stairs in CAS and COM, it is good to keep a water bottle handy. BU understands “da struggle” and has provided refilling stations in CAS and COM—no surprise there. As much as we like our phones fully charged, do the same courtesy with your good ole noggin.

It is imperative to drink water daily and consume the right food too. The dining hall is a dangerous and beautiful place because there are a variety of hot and greasy dishes ready for your taking. You want to avoid sliding off the edge because it is not cool to use “I have a bad stomach ache” as an excuse to miss class. You are probably thinking: “I can eat what I want during the week because I’ll work it off at the gym on the weekends.” Sure, but keeping up a workout routine is easier said than done. A simple solution is to eat less fatty foods and more lean greens. Take it from Nick:

The food and fitness talk may seem daunting, but it is a good reminder. During the school year, it is not unusual to lose your way and avoid dealing with the small stuff. If classes get rough, relationships fall apart, or club tryouts go wrong, try not making a habit of running away from your problems. Our girl Jess has gone through a love cycle, dealt with unemployment, and above all has learned to live with three grown men. She did not let anything slide under the rug. You can run from your problems, but you cannot hide from them.

As you face your problems, the truth is likely to hurt. Whether you are getting over an unexpected grade or an ex-best friend, the situation shouldn’t take hold of you. You have to accept the fact and move on. It is ironic to get hurt when facing your problems, but it is part of growing up. In the end, fighting through those experiences will prepare you for future ones.

An experience you have a little more control over is residential living. There are great housing options at BU, but you have to know the good spots. You cannot wrong on Bay State Road, West is the best, live off-campus at your own risk, and be careful in between (Warren and HoJo). Make sure you visit the rooms ahead of time and review the floor plans, which are available online. Living in a triple in HoJo sounds fun at first, but…

Speaking of terrible ideas, here’s another: Asking a senior about her life after graduation. It is a good question, but not a conversation starter. Seniors should know the answer, but we honestly do not know for certain. We rather not lie to ourselves.  So, for your sake and ours:

The most rewarding part about college is actually getting older and wiser. You learn from past experiences and find yourself. As Nick puts it:

Once you find yourself, do not let anyone tell you different. Be comfortable in your own skin. It is the best fit.

Nick as reinforcement:

Yes, DO YOUR THING and do it well. Embrace this time as the new girl. As you further explore the mysterious world of college and game of life, it is wise to surround yourself with good people, who will support you no matter what.  

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.