This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Netflix has really outdone itself this time. Just in time for spooky season, Netflix has released their October 2020 schedule and let me tell you, it is spectacular. Let’s face it, we’ve all been having a lot of movie nights lately (because social distancing is still important!), and we could use this extra content. 

Netflix’s new Halloween schedule on top of Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween will be more than enough to keep us occupied this spooky season. So grab your candy corn and get ready for some good old-fashioned horror. Here are just five of the many new releases from Netflix this fall.

The Haunting of Bly Manor 

Available: October 9

The Haunting of Bly Manor is highly anticipated, as it is the follow-up series to The Haunting of Hill House, which was incredibly successful and popular because of its haunting lure and dark secrets. This new series is also loosely based on the best-selling horror novella The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. Showrunner Mike Flanagan is recycling cast members from the first series, so you will get to see your favorite characters in action again. I was personally very obsessed with The Haunting of Hill House, so I am incredibly excited for this new season’s twists and turns. Watch here to see the delightfully creepy trailer.

Hubie Halloween

Available: October 7

I am actually stoked for this one. Hubie Halloween has everything a Halloween movie will ever need: Adam Sandler, Salem, humor, gore, tricks, treats, and an ax murderer. Believe it or not, there are not many scary movies set in Salem, apart from Hocus Pocus (a classic) and some Salem Witch Trial documentaries. Salem is basically the spooky capital of the country, so I am personally very excited to see a scary movie set there—especially an Adam Sandler movie. In this movie, Sandler plays a boy-who-cried-wolf character who must fight off real-life monsters when no one else in the town believes him. I expect very big things from this movie, and I don’t think I will be disappointed.

Ratched 

Available: Now

Ryan Murphy never ceases to amaze, and this is no exception. Since American Horror Story Season 10 has been put on hold for the moment, Murphy has released Ratched, which also stars Sarah Paulson and also features much blood and gore and horror. Ratched is based on One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, where Paulson plays the wicked Nurse Ratched and delves into the experience of working in a mental institution. This show is utterly violent and deeply psychological, but all in a Ryan Murphy-fashion with bright colors and vivid imagery. If you’re interested in seeing what other shows and movies Ryan Murphy has in store, click here.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen 

Available: Now

The Babysitter: Killer Queen is the sequel to The Babysitter, which follows a young teenage boy as he tries to escape from his hot babysitter’s satanic cult. When I first watched the first movie, I expected it to be cheesy and typical, but it pleasantly surprised me with how funny and well-done it was. With all of the original cast members back for this sequel, I expect it to be just as hilarious and fun as the first one. If you’re looking for a somewhat lighthearted and funny Halloween movie, I highly recommend this one (just be ready for lots of blood).

Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2

Available: October 19

Netflix rebooted Unsolved Mysteries in July when they dropped six episodes of haunting and thrilling mystery. The series proved to be extremely successful, giving internet sleuths hundreds of secrets to solve. In fact, as seen in Netflix’s post above, of the 1,071 unsolvable cases profiled, 1 in 4 have been solved thanks to viewers of the show. Six new episodes are coming out on October 19 in Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2, so be sure to get out your sleuthing hat and check it out.

For a full list of all the Halloween content coming to Netflix, click here.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.