This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I LOVE MAKEUP! A smoky eye, a cat eye, or a bold lip, I love all types of makeup looks. For me, makeup is not only a way to enhance your features, but also a way for you to have fun. I also love the process of applying makeup; I find it is incredibly therapeutic and it puts me in the mindset of being prepared for the day. Most days, I will wear a natural makeup look or no makeup at all; other days, I will experiment with my makeup.

Here is my natural makeup routine!

Step 1: Primer

I have combination skin and I get really oily around my nose. So I make sure to prime my face, mainly in the T-zone area. I love the Makeup For Ever Step 1 Mattifying Primer. It keeps my makeup from sliding around my face during the day and controls the oil.

Step 2: Face

During the day, I don’t like wearing foundation. I like to show as much of my natural skin texture as possible and to feel like I’m not wearing anything. So, I use the Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint or the Dr. JART+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30. The Glossier Skin Tint lightly covers and evens out my skin, while the Dr. JART+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 minimizes redness. Both are both really light and easy to use! I use my hands to apply whichever product I’m using that day!

Step 3: Concealer

On days that I am super tired or have a spot, I will conceal it up! For under my eyes, I will use the Glossier Stretch Concealer. It’s super creamy and buildable. If I have a spot, I will use a heavier concealer. Using the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage or Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer, I will pinpoint conceal my spots using a tiny brush.

Step 4: Powder

As I mentioned before, I have combination skin and get really oily around the nose during the day. To combat my oiliness, I will dust Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder on my T-zone using a big, fluffy brush. I will also set my concealer!

Step 5: Contour 

I LIGHTLY contour my face, just to slightly define my face. Not Kim Kardashian or drag queen snatched-contour, I’m talking barely even noticeable, primarily because I don’t really know how to properly contour my face. Using my Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow Face Sculpt & Highlight palette, I will oh-so-lightly contour my jawline, cheekbones, and nose.

Step 6: Blush 

I love blush. I feel like blush really adds some good ol’ life to my face after those late college nights. My favorite blush is the Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso. I will apply a little to the apple of my cheeks and lightly to the bridge of my nose (to look a little sun-kissed). This blush also has a subtle glow to it, so you get some highlight.  What a bonus!

Step 7: Eyes

I don’t really wear eyeshadow during the day, but if I do, I will just put a little bronzer through the crease of my eyelids. Most days I will just apply eyeliner and mascara. First, I will curl my lashes (to minimize the transfer of product). Then, I will apply Nars Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Via Veneto, which is just a black eyeliner. To finish it off, I will apply a few coats of Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara.

Step 8: Brows

For my brows, I will lightly feather them in with my Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, just to make them look a little thicker but not drawn on. Then to set them in place and make them look fuller, I will brush through my brows with the Glossier Boy Brow. The brows frame your face, so I rarely skip this step. FRAME THAT FACE!

Makeup is an amazing way to express yourself and how you feel! Everyone has a different routine. Some like more makeup than others, while others prefer to wear no makeup at all. It’s up to you and only you! You’re fierce and beautiful no matter what you wear!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mikaela is a sophomore in Boston University's College of Communication. Her major is advertising and has an focus in Spanish. Mikaela likes avocado toast, hot chocolate more than coffee, and dogs. Her passions include fashion, watching movies, and eating yummy food. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.