My Latest Concert Adventures, from Bon Iver to Carrie Underwood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In a city such as Boston, there is never any shortage of live music. Within 3 miles of BU campus, there are at least 5 music venues that I can think of – each with its individual ~style~ and typical crowd. As I said, music is never short on stock.

In the last week and a half, I had the pleasure to see Carrie Underwood and Bon Iver, both at TD Garden (which is a trek and a half). Since they come from such different backgrounds, their individual tours were incredibly different, from their performances all the way down to their lighting and stage positioning.

Carrie Underwood’s “Cry Pretty Tour 360”

American Idol legend Carrie Underwood arrived at the Garden on October 10, bringing along country up-and-comings Runaway June, as well as Maddie + Tae. This show was legendary.

From the beginning, her openers brought the fire and energy that country women have. I was particularly excited for Maddie + Tae, as they had been on a lil’ break prior from about 2016-2018. Most importantly though, they sang “Friends Don’t,” a VERY important song that I enjoy making friends listen to. “Friends Don’t” is about vague relationships that border friendship and dating – that friends don’t do romantic things that relationships (and whoever relates) do.

Following Maddie + Tae was Ms. Underwood herself! I’ve been following Carrie for the last 14 years (as I aggressively screamed “I voted for you!”) Her story is the ultimate singing competition success story – and she knows it. Despite not being a “Greatest Hits” tour, it may as well have been. Ms. Carrie – recognizing that her discography extends way back to 2005 – sang some of the hits that gave her #legendary status in the country and pop community.

Now I am not a religious person, spiritual maybe, but definitely not religious. However, when “Jesus Take the Wheel” or “Something in the Water” plays, I am immediately a religious worshipper asking God herself for forgiveness. Whew – it’s transformative. Another reason this concert was amazing – my mom’s spirit was there. I know that’s totally corny to say and delusional, but it’s completely true. As I said, this wasn’t a Greatest Hits tour and yet, Carrie sang the one song I played at my mom’s funeral: “See You Again.” So of course, I was bawling.

The whole thing was a blur after that but I remember being so overjoyed and impressed with her live performance. The friend I brought with me (who is tiptoeing into being a country fan) commented on how amazing Carrie’s vocals are. I was shook because Carrie’s vocals are almost stronger live compared to her studio recordings. Impressive. Amazing. All I can say.

Bon Iver

Soooo… I really enjoy Bon Iver. Justin Vernon is just the voice you need when you’re relaxing or focusing on homework. There’s nothing more soothing than instrumentals + Justin singing. However, I am convinced there really are no words to his songs (despite me singing words to his older music).

Opening for Bon Iver was Feist and the only reason I know both of these artists is because of the Twilight Saga. They were both featured on the soundtrack of different movies in the series, however, I got much more into Bon Iver.

Bon Iver’s latest release is a transcendental experience that I can’t even put words to–mostly because I don’t know most, if any, of the words. However, all of the big fancy name reviews like Rolling Stone, have decided that this album is amazing, so I guess I’m not the only one recognizing Justin Vernon’s genius.

Similar to Bon Iver’s performance on Fallon as pictured (gif’ed?) above, this show was essentially hiding Justin’s face. All of the lights were stationed on the floor and reflecting off of mirrors that changed heights from the ceiling. It was creative and nothing I’d ever seen before. When my friend and I sat down for this show (also, first sitting show I’ve been to?), I had commented that I felt this show should’ve been in a field at a festival. However, due to the size of this album, I appreciate the echoes that I could feel radiating from the ceiling after each synth chord, each drum solo, even the saxophone solo toward the end.

Overall, my concert expeditions have been really successful! I was on the balcony for both shows, bought last minute tickets, and still had an amazing time. Nothing can replace live music and, oftentimes, I find that live shows bring me a new appreciation for the craft and artistry these individuals put into their music! If you have the time and can spare some cash, the memories are priceless and completely worth it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.