Style

My Halloween Predictions: Which Costumes Will Be Most Popular this Year?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s about mid-October, meaning Halloween parties are just around the corner. Some people have their costumes picked out and organized before school starts, but if you’re still on the fence as to what to wear, don’t stress out. Pick any of these and you’ll be trendy and with the times. Or, if you prefer to be a trendsetter, then you know what to avoid.

It

With IT Chapter Two recently hitting theaters, it only makes sense to take advantage of the opportunity to dress up as Stephen King’s classic characters. A quick trip to a thrift store should be enough to put together outfits resembling the Losers’ crew, which would make a great friend costume. Though if you want to go for a more iconic look, go for either Georgie’s yellow rain jacket or Pennywise’s chilling clown makeup. Clowns will probably be especially popular with the recent releases of both It and Joker.

Disney

Although this is a broad category and a common costume inspiration every year, it’s going to be particularly important Halloween of 2019. The recent live-action remakes of Aladdin and Lion King are sure to resurrect costumes from these movies. With Toy Story 4 hitting theaters this summer, nostalgic costumes paying tribute to this childhood classic will also be everywhere. Last but not least, the nearing release date of Frozen 2 has put that franchise back on people’s minds, which will definitely influence Disney fans’ costume choices.

Stranger Things

After Netflix released the incredibly spooky and wildly popular Stranger Things 3 this summer, it’s the perfect time to wear a costume from this show. Dressing as the main gang from Hawkins is a go-to costume choice for any friend group. In order to be relevant to this year, consider going as the Scoop Troop.

Spider-Man

Again, Spider-Man is always popular, but the exceeding popularity of Tom Holland’s portrayal of Spider-Man in the Marvel Comics Universe is sure to keep this costume idea fresh in people’s minds. After all, who doesn’t love Spider-Man?

Game of Thrones

While costumes from this show have been popular for years on end, we might see a spike in Game of Thrones-related costumes this year. With the show airing its eighth and final season this year, fans will want a chance to wear a costume from their favorite show while it is still relevant.

Unicorns

Is it just me, or are unicorns absolutely everywhere lately? They’re on school supplies, t-shirts, children’s toys, and just about anything else you can think of. With this constant bombardment of unicorns, some people are sure to dress up as one.

Halloween is an interesting indicator of what is important to culture and to individuals. People tend to base their costumes on something they commonly see around them or on something that is personally important to them. Someone’s costume can tell you a lot about their interests.

Take advantage of this unique time of year and form of expression to wear a costume you love.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah "Kathleen" Lupu is a senior studying psychology at Boston University. She grew up in Bucharest, Romania and holds both Romanian and American citizenships.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.