This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It is now December, the official start of winter. No season is better, with its high wind chills, big winter jackets and constant need for mittens. Of course, in Boston, winter is on another level. Here is a definitive list of my absolute favorite parts about winter.

1. Wearing winter coats

Nothing is better than walking around in a gigantic marshmallow. It’s even better when your coat is almost too effective and you walk into a building and immediately start sweating. Of course, moving your arms is always great in a winter coat because of the inevitable five other layers you’re probably wearing underneath. Winter coats are perhaps the greatest thing about the season.

2. Mittens

Like wearing winter coats, mittens offer the same great mobility. What’s better than having to expose your hands to the freezing cold to send a text? Of course, you can find some tech gloves and hit four letters at once, which is also great.

3. Snow

Snow is definitely the most beautiful, majestic part of winter. With the slipping and sliding, the wetness getting into your shoes, and ugliness when it gets covered in mud, it’s a real highlight of winter. Not to mention when classes aren’t canceled and you have to venture out into a snowstorm with the snow is blowing into your eyes and mouth. Nothing tastes better than snowflakes.

4. Holiday shoppers

Of course, the holiday season starts on November 1st. But people will inevitably wait for the absolute last minute to buy their holiday gifts. It’s really the most wonderful thing out of the most wonderful time of the year to be amongst crazy shoppers. Innocently walking into Target to pick up some toothpaste turns into dodging people who are intensely focused on getting the perfect gift.

5. Buying gifts

Holiday shoppers are awesome, but being one of the holiday shoppers is even better. It’s the greatest thing to desperately find the perfect gift for anywhere from five to ten people. Watching my checking account balance get lower and lower is the absolute highlight of my season.

Winter is coming up quickly and so are these amazing things. In all honesty, winter is one of my favorite seasons. But, like every other season, there are some or many things I could do without. But we must brace ourselves for the cold, the snow and, of course, the holidays.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Olivia is a freshman at Boston University, majoring in Journalism in the College of Communication. She is from North Caldwell, New Jersey. Olivia enjoys writing, playing with dogs, and watching Netflix, specifically Parks and Recreation.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.