My Favorite Spring Cleaning Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I love cleaning. I’m aware that that is a weird thing to proclaim for potentially everyone who uses the internet to read, but that does mean that I have some great tips on maintaining a clean space.

1) Make your own cleaner.

I find that I’m very wary of the chemicals that are used in most cleaners, and I find that if I make my own cleaner I am more likely to use it because I’m not concerned about how it will impact my health. I like to use a spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water.

2) Skip sponges.

I hate sponges, I think they’re absolutely disgusting. They smell, harbor some serious bacteria, are actually one of the dirtiest places in the kitchen and have a really negative environmental impact. So, having a scrubber in the kitchen makes it more sanitary, so you’re more likely to do it.

3) Clean every day.

This is controversial but spending a bit of time each day cleaning makes it less of a disaster later on. It’s a lot easier to spend 10 to 15 minutes per day cleaning than needing to spend two hours doing it on a weekend.

4) Make your bed every day.

Starting the day off with a made bed will set the tone for a more clean, productive start to your day. Starting the day off with a made bed will inspire you to keep other areas of your life clean.

5) Sweep weekly.

This is a game changer, but sweeping weekly is the easiest way to ensure that you maintain a clean environment because you have no idea just how many dust bunnies are lying around your apartment! Personally, every living space I live in is inundated with my long, blonde hair but I live with all brunettes so I can’t even blame anyone on the mass amounts of hair distributed across my apartment.

In all, unless you were born a neat freak you probably won’t become one overnight. My cleanliness stems from living with roommates in a small apartment but being a neat freak is an advantage more than a disadvantage at this point in my life.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.