roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Favorite Alternatives for Boosting Your Energy That Aren’t Caffeinated Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Coffee and caffeine have taken over in today’s society. Everywhere you look people are rushing to their next destination, coffee in hand. According to an article from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, 85% of the U.S. population drinks a caffeinated beverage every day.

When I was in high school, it was cool to swing by Dunkin’ Donuts and grab iced coffees with your friends before heading to class. Drinking coffee has become such a culture that sometimes we don’t realize it may have harmful effects until we step back and try alternatives.

Smoothies

Smoothies are the perfect choice for a morning pick me up. Recently, I’ve been obsessed with Naked smoothies because they’re loaded with fruit and super easy to grab on the way to class. If you’re feeling extra proactive and happen to have a blender, you can even make your own!

Kombucha

This fermented tea drink that’s started to gain popularity is chock-full of probiotics. It might seem a little unappealing, but it’s essentially like a carbonated tea! I always drink kombucha when I feel a little under the weather, but now I’ve been trying to drink it more regularly. Some delicious brands to try are Kevita and Health-Ade – they come in tons of flavors!

Sparkling Water

Sparkling waters and seltzers are perfect because they taste sweet, but they’re really just bubbly water with a flavor. La Croix is my favorite brand because they have unique flavors like peach-pear, passionfruit, and cran-raspberry.

Fruit-Infused Water

Similar to the above option, fruit-infused waters are another easy-low calorie drink. They’re literally nothing but water and your choice of cut up fruit–it can’t get much healthier than that! Try putting the fruity mix in a clear or glass bottle to admire your masterpiece.

Iced Herbal Teas

Starbucks is the reigning champion when it comes to iced herbal teas. They have a passion tea that tastes like candy, and is even sweeter paired with lemonade! Order a grande passion tea lemonade to get a delicious caffeine-free refreshment!

When in doubt…just grab water! Our bodies are over 60% water, it’s good for you so drink up! Just remember to think twice about the caffeine and sugar that comes with those ever-popular coffee drinks!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.