This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Last year, the “coastal cowgirl” aesthetic became one of many trends of the summer. Now, as warm weather approaches, I can’t help but fall into this craze again. What’s not to love about some cowgirl boots, a hat, and 2006 Taylor Swift?

I know that some people, especially those who did not grow up around country music, know only the stigma of corny, repetitive songs. Typically, I would only listen to country music under two circumstances: one, if I happen to be on a boat, and two, against my will. However, I’ve had a change of heart. Perhaps it’s my longing for sunshine and 80-degree weather, but something about the country aesthetic has been quite appealing lately.

I think what motivated this recent interest was music artist Dasha’s song “Austin,” and the line dance on TikTok she choreographed to go with it. The song is a take on country music, with all of the classic appeals of the genre: talk of boots, trucks, and of course, Texas — which I love. The song is a perfect example of modern country music done right. I take more of an interest in early to mid-2000s country songs rather than more recent ones, but Dasha’s work is great. I also love the bedazzled belt buckle Dasha always has on, which I think is super cute! 

This trendy song and dance have not been the only things vamping my interest in the country music genre. I recently purchased tickets for the “Taste of Country,” a concert in my hometown of Buffalo, N.Y. It happens every year, but I never had an interest in going until this year when my friends and I spontaneously decided to get tickets. This time around, we thought it would be a new and fun experience! Some artists who will be featured at this concert are Old Dominion, Jon Pardi, and Chris Janson. I’ll have to give them a listen before I go in June, but in the meantime, these are some songs that have a spot on my country playlist lately:

• “Our Song,” Taylor Swift
  • “Here for the Party,” Gretchen Wilson
  • “When it Rains It Pours,” Luke Combs
  • “Play It Again,” Luke Bryan
  • “Tennessee Whiskey,” Chris Stapleton
  • “Cruise,” Florida Georgia Line
  • “Fast Car,” Luke Combs
  • “That’s My Kind of Night,” Luke Bryan
  • “Picture to Burn,” Taylor Swift
  • “Play It Again,” Luke Bryan

Besides just music, the country vibe appeals to me in other ways. I am very excited to buy my first pair of cowgirl boots for the concert and maybe a cute straw cowgirl or trucker hat. Tying bow ribbons to the top loops of the cowgirl boots is also a super cute addition, and Pinterest has plenty of cute inspiration pictures! I’ll likely opt for a colorful or sparkly pair of boots for my look this summer. I also love a good white sundress or some ripped denim shorts that will make for a cute pairing with a braid or two. And of course, you can never go wrong with some bows at the end!

I surprised myself with my recent interest in this aesthetic. This shift reminded me that over time your interests will change, and they may move to focus on something unexpected. Because of this, it’s important to be open-minded to many different styles and tastes. I used to diss country music to my family all the time, but the truth is, I never really gave it a chance. Now, I’m looking forward to my “country girl” summer, led by music that makes me want to roll my car windows down and “Cruise.”

I hope this inspires you to embrace the country girl inside!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kendall Lepczyk is a writer for the Her Campus at BU chapter, and enjoys to write creatively. Kendall is a freshman at Boston University, majoring in journalism. In her free time, Kendall enjoys reviewing films on Letterboxd, playing vinyls, and making Pinterest boards. When she's not writing she is probably reading (mostly fantasy books). She also spends the summer time coaching youth lacrosse.