Style > Beauty

My All-Time Favorite Beauty Products That You’ll Want to Add to Your Holiday Wish List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since I started experimenting with Claire’s eyeshadow and lip gloss palettes in middle school, I’ve loved makeup. From the individual packaging to the colorful displays in department stores, the endless brands and products always make shopping for makeup an adventure in aesthetics, textures, and designs (not to mention endless swatching on the back of my hand). Over years of purchases and testing out products from nearly every brand, store, and quality, I’ve found my favorite products and made them staples in my beauty routine. If you’re looking for tried and true beauty products to add to your collection, here are some of my long-time favorites, and where you can get them.

1. Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

The goal of any mascara is to accentuate your lashes, without the clumping or flaking that often goes along with it. Maybelline’s Lash Sensational Mascara consistently lengthens and darkens even my (self-proclaimed) stubby lashes without flaking off, drying out, or clumping. I always keep a few extra tubes handy, especially since it’s an affordable price for high quality.

Available at Target for $6.99.

2. Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzer

Bronzer can be tricky since there’s a very fine line between lightly bronzed and the look of a self-tanner experience gone wrong. The Hoola Bronzer builds up gradually, allowing you to control how much pigment you use, and making it easier to contour and evenly distribute the powder evenly. Benefit’s bronzer is my go-to all-year-round, whether I’m going for a subtle glow in the winter, or emphasizing my post-vacation tan in the summer.

Available at Ulta for $29.

3. Urban Decay’s Naked Flushed Palette in Going Native

This product is a triple-threat: bronzer, highlighter, and blush in one color-coordinated palette. Not only does it condense three products into one palette, but each one can be used on its own for the same high-quality results. I often use just the highlighter for a sharp pop of shimmer, and it never fails to warrant a few compliments. Or, if you’re going for a natural look but want to add a little color to your cheeks, the bright pink blush on its own is enough to help you glow.

Available at Sephora for $34.

4. Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner

Of all the products on this list, this one is one of my original favorites. While I’ve branched out from time to time and experimented with other eyeliners, I always find myself coming back to Line Stiletto. While some liquid eyeliners can be hard to apply, Maybelline’s glides on, making it easy to achieve even, sharp definition at whatever thickness you’re feeling. Another perk is that you can find this product at your local drugstore, which is especially convenient when you’re running low before a night out and you need your winged eyeliner to be on point.

Available at CVS for $8.99.

5. Lime Crime Matte Velvetines

Since Lime Crime makeup is primarily sold online, you may not have heard of this bold, trendy, L.A based, certified vegan and cruelty-free brand. While the company sells everything from hair color to pop-on nails, their velvetine lipsticks are my personal favorite. As the name suggests, the liquid lip colors glide on smoothly, but dry matte, for a perfectly pigmented pout. If you’re looking for a glossier look, Lime Crime has you covered with their metallic velvetiness, which are also available in an array of colors from neutral pinks to adventurous lavenders.

Available online at limecrime.com for $20.

The beauty of makeup is the endless combinations you can create from your makeup collection, and I hope this list of my favorites will help you find your own beauty staples that can be the foundation for thousands of unique looks. All you need is a set of makeup brushes and a little inspiration.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.