My 3 Favorite Books from Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club, Hello Sunshine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whenever I ask my Dad for book recommendations, he always tells me to pick up a classic. Now don’t get me wrong, there is significant value in these novels, hence why people have been reading them for so long. That being said, I definitely am not trying to spend my free time away from school trudging my way through a classic. School is hard enough. Between exams, labs, homework, group projects, and essays, I don’t want consuming entertainment in my free time to feel like work. I have enough work as it is, trust me. 

For those reasons, I am always looking for novels to get lost in and fall in love with, and finding these books is more of a struggle than one might think. When I’m looking for a new TV show or YouTuber to watch, I feel like just about every person has a new suggestion. I can call up any one of my friends and they will each have about a hundred different responses. This is definitely not the case for books. Being the only consistent reader in my friend group, they usually do not have an answer for me. However, Reese Witherspoon, of all people, has me covered. I discovered Reese Witherspoon’s online book club, Hello Sunshine, this past summer and it is a new go-to when looking for a new book.

“Daisy Jones and the Six” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

For this pick alone, I think Reese has amazing taste in books. (Am I using this article as yet another way to recommend this book? Yes, probably). I read Daisy Jones prior to discovering Hello Sunshine and it quickly became my favorite novel of all time–and coming from a girl who has read 80 books so far this year, that’s saying something. From then on, I have wholeheartedly trusted recommendations from Hello Sunshine. If you’re looking for a novel with awesome female characters and a heart-wrenching plot, look no further. 

“Eleanor Olifant is Completely Fine” by Gail Honeyman

I love this book because it is relatable in so many ways. Eleanor is quirky and just plain awkward at times, yet I found her to be more realistic than so many other characters I read about. Far too frequently, characters in all forms of media, especially female characters, are almost too perfect. Eleanor is relatable to anyone who has ever felt awkward and out of place.

“Little Fires Everywhere” by Celeste Ng 

This book is truly emotional and captivating. Little Fires Everywhere delves into the family drama that comes with living in such a close knit community. Celeste Ng knows how to craft a story around real people. Family is something that is so close to many people’s hearts and this novel captures the complexity of those relationships. 

Reese Witherspoon’s book club understands readers who are looking for new releases to love. Next time you’re looking for an enticing read, make sure you check out Hello Sunshine. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.