Must-See Movies to Watch This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Movies are the best form of escapism, especially now that we’re in the midst of Spring Break with all those midterms (at least most of them) behind us. This month, there’s something for every type of movie-goer this month. From badass female spy thriller to heartwarming coming out story slash rom-com, and so much more!

1. Red Sparrow (2h 20m)

Out: 3/1

Director: Francis Lawrence

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton

Genre: Spy thriller

Logline: A young prima ballerina is recruited to ‘Sparrow School’ to become a Russian intelligence officer specializing in seduction. Her first assignment, targeting a CIA agent, threatens to expose not only their countries secrets but their own as well.

2. A Wrinkle in Time (2h)

Out: 3/9

Director: Ava DuVernay

Starring: Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure

Logline: When Meg Murry’s (Storm Reid) astrophysicist father is taken captive to a distant planet, she will stop at nothing to get him back. Joined by her brother, friend, and three magical beings, she will travel across the universe to find him.

3. Love, Simon (1h 50m)

Out: 3/16

Director by: Greg Berlanti

Starring: Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford, Miles Heizer

Genre: Coming of age, Romantic Comedy

Logline: Seventeen-year-old Simon Spier (Nick Robinson) has fallen in love with an anonymous classmate online. He can’t talk to anyone about it though because he’s been hiding a secret: he’s gay.

4. Tomb Raider (2h 2m)

Out: 3/16

Director: Roar Uthaug

Starring: Alicia Vikander, Daniel Wu, Walton Goggins

Genre: Action, Adventure

Logline: Seven years after her father’s death, Lara Croft cannot stop investigating the mysterious circumstances of his demise. Determined to learn more, she decides to take the treacherous journey to the last place he was seen: a mysterious and mystical tomb on a hidden island off the coast of Japan.

5. Ready Player One (tbd)

Out: 3/29

Director: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cook, Ben Mendelsohn

Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure

Logline: In 2045, people go to the expansive virtual reality world of OASIS to escape a world on the verge of chaos. One of those people is Wade Watts. When the game’s creator dies and leaves his fortune to the first player to find a digital Easter egg, Wade is thrust into a competition that may change his life.

Considering March is Women’s History Month, there’s a lot of empowering female representation present in these films. Jennifer Lawrence and Alicia Vikander take the helm of two action-packed movies. A Wrinkle in Time, in addition to having a strong female cast, is helmed by Ava DuVernay, a woman of color. She’s the first female of color to direct a film with a budget of over $100 million. This movie in and of itself is a milestone AND a step in the right direction for Hollywood. I don’t know about you, but this month my Movie Pass is going to be put to good use. I can’t wait to see them all!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.