This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When the clock strikes midnight on December 1st and it’s officially time to ring in the Christmas season, many of us know exactly how we’re going to shower ourselves with holiday spirit over the coming month. Some break out their Christmas playlist, while some begin unpacking those boxes of lights and garland in preparation for a lengthy session of decorating. Others bury themselves under a pile of blankets and kick off their movie marathon with Elf or Home Alone. Whether you’re a committed decorator or draw your holiday joy from movies and music (or all of the above), the one phenomenon that can excite everyone for the upcoming season is food.

Christmas brings some rather decadent foods to the month of December. There’s eggnog, sugar cookies, peppermint hot chocolate, and my newest discovery — Tembleque — a Puerto Rican Christmas delicacy that will have you inhaling your dinner in order to make it to dessert. But another wonderful component to Christmas is the array of candy that accompanies it.  Christmas candy is a fantastic addition to anyone’s dorm room. It’s inexpensive, easy to store, and always within reach if you need a pick-me-up whilst studying for exams. If you love candy, but feel unsure which sweets to target in order to bring the aura of Christmas to your dorm, check out the list below for some suggestions.

M&M’s Milk Chocolate Holiday Candy

M&M’s are the perfect chocolatey snack to satisfy a sugar craving and also add a touch of the Christmas aesthetic to your dorm. I suggest purchasing a little bowl in the shape of a Christmas tree or snowflake for the edge of your desk, and filling it with the red, green, and white M&M’s that not only taste delicious, but look as pretty as they are appetizing.

Dark Peppermint LINDOR Truffles

Lindt is famous for the rich, savory flavor of the chocolate it produces, and the Christmas truffles never disappoint. The peppermint truffles are a personal favorite as the hint of peppermint woven into the truffle doesn’t take away from the chocolatey sensation that makes all Lindt candies incredible.

Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

These little candies may not be the first to come to mind when thinking of Christmas sweets, but, they are a wonderful compliment nonetheless. Similar to the M&M’s strategy, filling a festive bowl with the little red, green, and gold-wrapped candies lights up your dorm with the feeling of Christmas and provides a little boost to your energy when in desperate need of sugar.

Sweet Tarts Candy Canes

It seems there’s an endless variety of candy canes on the market to choose from. If you’re not a fan of the traditional peppermint, I suggest enticing your sweet tooth with the Sweet Tart’s brand. They’re fruity and intensely sugary, making them a wonderful substitute for chocolate. They might stain your tongue for a little bit, but that just adds to the fun of acting like a kid during Christmas time.

Hershey’s Chocolate Mint Candy Canes

Not a lover of Sweet Tarts? Hershey’s chocolate mint candy canes are a perfect alternative. The chocolate lessens the intensity of the peppermint flavor, making them a little more sugary and rich than the traditional peppermint candy cane. For a fun activity, try hanging them around your dorm. The festive colors add to the aura of seasonality. Plus, if they’re hanging on your walls, desk, and dresser, chances are that one will always be in reach!

Peppermint Bark

It’s difficult not to think of peppermint bark when someone asks what reminds you of Christmas. And having a box, large or small, of this holiday delicacy can only bring an added sense of joy to your dorm. It’s easy to find in any store, as it lines the shelves in anticipation of demand. If you’re unsure of which brand to buy, my advice is any kind with little chunks of peppermint sprinkled on top. It adds a little crunch to the treat and compliments the chocolate flavor wonderfully.

Terry’s Chocolate Orange

This Christmas special is easily my favorite holiday candy and I receive one in my stocking every single year without fail. This sweet has all the elements needed to constitute the greatest Christmas candy. Wrapped in gold foil and molded into the shape of an orange (it actually looks like little slices of the fruit!), Terry’s Chocolate Orange takes candy art to a new level. The chocolate is rich and milky (dark chocolate is available as well) and infused with a noticeable yet subtle orange flavor. If you’ve never tried this candy, I suggest buying them in bulk. You’ll eat them faster than you can ever imagine.

Without a doubt, there is an endless supply of candy to choose from during the Christmas season. These options in particular are excellent additions to your dorm as they are cheap, yet still taste of quality flavor, and can double as both a treat and a decoration. So curl up in bed with a movie, grab your chocolate orange, and snack away!  

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emilee is a BU alumni from Charleston, South Carolina. She graduated with a BA Latin American Studies and a minor in Comparative Literature.  In addition to writing for Her Campus she enjoys reading, grabbing coffee with friends, and playing in the snow. She takes frequent trips to Ontario- the home of her family and grew up riding horses. Her favorite show is New Girl and she sees every day as an opportunity to pet a new dog. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.