Must-Do Fall Activities In and Around Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It may have been sweltering a week or two ago, but now you’re trading those shorts and flip-flops for knit sweaters and riding boots! Whether you are from California or a completely different continent, make the most of New England’s most celebrated season before the leaves begin to fall with these quintessential autumn activities. 

1) Apple Picking 

While you may live in the big city, there are plenty of farms just outside of Boston where the quaintest of New England’s autumn traditions can be experienced. Venture into the suburbs with your friends and spend a few hours wandering the orchards, eating cider donuts, and come back to your dorm with the freshest of apples!  

2) The Head of the Charles  

The famous rowing competition returns to our own Charles River October 17 and 18. Watch the start of the race from the BU Bridge, and watch our Terrier teams compete.

3) Visit Salem 

Take the trip to the North Shore for a day to wonder around the most Halloween-iest town in the country. See a psychic and get your palm read, or dare to enter one of the many available haunted houses. It’s also the setting for the Halloween classic, “Hocus Pocus.”   

4) Tour Haunted Boston 

If you are the type who enjoys a little scream now and then with a bit of history thrown in, take one of Boston’s many ghost tours. You’re living in a 400 year old city after all— there are bound to be some creepy tales to tell.  

5) Sports  

The basketball, football, and hockey seasons are coming up, so go see a Celtics, Patriots, or Bruins game. As you might know, it’s kind of a big deal here.  

6) Thanksgiving 

Attend one of the city’s Thanksgiving dinners, or take a daytrip down to Plymouth to see where it all started. Ask a pilgrim what they think of the new iPad Pro and be prepared for some weird looks!

7) Faneuil Hall  

On November 21 witness the tree-lighting ceremony and light show Blink! And throughout the following weeks enjoy the end of the season by the twinkling Christmas lights outside Faneuil Hall. Stroll Quincy Market under the lights with a cup of cocoa in hand, or perhaps a Pumpkin Spice Latte, and get a start on your holiday shopping! Keep in mind that the Market closes at 9pm, and 6pm on Sundays. 

8) Last but not least…

Eat! Try all of autumn’s foods, whether it’s your first time or a favorite tradition. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, cider donuts, candy/caramel apples, apple cider, cranberry sauce, squash, maple syrup (the real kind), football fare, Halloween candy— try it all! 

There are also plenty of ways to celebrate autumn on campus, with Halloween events, Thanksgiving dinner in the dining halls, and the burnished crimson leaves along Comm Ave. However you choose, make some time between classes to experience the season!  

Sarah is a freshman at Boston University, although she took two years off before starting college. She is currently undeclared. She loves to write, and her other interests include reading, music, style, fandoms, and the ever dangerous penchant for online shopping. Rapunzel is her favorite Disney princess, and one of Sarah's greatest moments was meeting her and getting her autograph. She is a Hufflepuff, doesn't drink coffee (gasp!), and collects fuzzy socks.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis