Movie Marathon: 5 Spooky Movies to Watch This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

October calls for telling scary ghost stories with friends around the fire. But if you can’t do that, here are some movies that will have you just as terrified. So get comfortable, grab a friend, and, if you’re brave enough, turn off the lights.

Hush

Before A Quiet Place existed — where the characters were unable to speak due to a sound-sensitive predator — there was this 2016 film in which the main character is unable to hear. The film follows a deaf writer who is attacked by a masked murderer in her secluded house in the woods. Unable to speak or hear, she must depend on her wits if she wants to make it out alive. While seemingly cliche, the movie is full of unexpected twists and suspenseful scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Train to Busan

Think Snowpiercer, but with a zombie apocalypse: this Korean thriller has become one of the highest-grossing films in South Korea and understandably so. The main character and his daughter soon find their lives in grave danger as they board a train in the midst of a virus outbreak that turns people into rabid zombies. The movie is action-packed and intense, with a heart-wrenching ending that will have you in your feels. If you want a movie with zombies, social commentary, and family values, watch with caution. 

Us

I watched this movie on a plane ride home with the cabin lights fully on and I was still scared out of my mind. Jordan Peele gained recognition with his directorial debut Get Out, and Us was yet another cinematic masterpiece that didn’t disappoint viewers. With a distinct soundtrack, amazing performances by every cast member, and a compelling plot, this is a must-watch that will make you take a second look at the society we live in and the privilege we might have. 

Orphan

If you’re in the mood for a disturbing scare, this movie will definitely do the trick. After losing their third child due to stillbirth, parents Kate and John Coleman turn to adoption. Upon welcoming 9-year-old Esther into their home, they come to discover their little girl is hiding a big secret. Isabelle Fuhrman’s performance as Esther is compelling as it is terrifying and this movie is sure to leave a lasting impression. 

Scary Movie

If you can’t bear to watch another thriller, this classic 2000’s parody is sure to lift your spirits. While the movie may contain mature humor, there are multiple scenes that reference classic horror movies such as Scream, The Shining, and The Blair Witch Project. The movie is a great comedic relief to watch with your friends for a good time and a big laugh. 

Watching scary movies is a great way to pass the time with friends. Hopefully, you enjoy these films as much as I have. The only thing I would suggest is making sure there’s no uninvited demons underneath your bed and that you try and sleep with one eye open! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jeanzelle Soliven (also known as Jean) is currently a Sophomore studying Film/TV at Boston University. Jean is a talkative person with a creative soul that loves to entertain and connect with others. In her free time, she enjoys journaling, baking, watching movies, and spending time with friends, family, and her dog. Jean also has a major sweet tooth so you'll be sure to find her making matcha lattes at the nearest dining hall or scouting out the nearest boba shop.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.