Most Outrageous Pop Culture Moments of 2014 So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From the enlightening revelations of Kanye West (“No one is looking at what [President] Obama is wearing. Michelle Obama cannot Instagram a [bikini] pic like what my girl Instagrammed the other day…”) to the MTV VMAs, 2013 seemed it would be difficult year to top. Now two months into 2014, it’s clear that this year in pop culture will not disappoint. But if you’re behind on Miley’s antics or Bieber’s latest legal drama, no worries! Here’s a recap of the most outrageous Hollywood happenings of 2014 so far.

Those Crazy Awards Season Speeches

Were there an award for the most talked about acceptance speech of awards season, it would definitely go to Jacqueline Bisset. When she accepted the award for Best Supporting Actress in a TV Movie, Series or Miniseries at the Golden Globes in January, she began her speech with 17 seconds of silence and nervous laughter before she spent the next minute or so being only slightly coherent. Then just after the “get off the stage” music began to play, she wrapped it all up by sharing some unexpected wisdom about the importance of forgiveness. Well Jacqueline, we loved—and cringed through—every second.

Days later, another acceptance speech went viral when Mathew McConaughey won Best Actor at the SAG awards. Onstage, he started off with a series of giggles followed by a triumphant “Yeah!” and then spoke passionately (in his notorious Texan accent, of course) about riding a spaceship to Neptune. He also quoted a man who once held the world record for the “smallest-vessel-single-man-sailed across the Atlantic,” and then closed out his speech with some classic Dazed and Confused wisdom—“just keep living.”  And as dazed and confused as he left us, we hope to see some more of this hot mess at the Oscars.

Justin Bieber’s Impressively Rapid Downward Spiral

We all saw this coming didn’t we? But who would have guessed it would all happen in just one month! In early January, Justin rang in a new year of mischief by egging his neighbor’s house, which then led the police to search his home and arrest Beiber’s bestie Lil Za on charges of drug possession. And less than two weeks later, Beiber himself was arrested in Miami for drag racing, and among other charges, was indicted with driving under the influence. Rumors of Justin’s out of control jail cell behavior are endless, but nothing can beat the tween dreamboat’s mug shot smile. At least Justin seemed pretty pleased with himself.

Shia LaBeouf Says “#IAMSORRY” to the World

When news of Shia’s LA performance art exhibit, #IAMSORRY, swept the Internet, it seemed more likely that this was an elaborate hoax or a bad SNL skit than something that could actually be happening. But in fact, at no cost, you could spend a few minutes in alone in a room with a silent Shia LaBouf, as he sat with a paper bag over his head (with the words “I’m not famous” written on it) and cried. While the exhibit has generated some of the most entertaining media reports to come out of Hollywood as of late, we’ve got to admit we are pretty sad to see Louis Stevens in such a state of Amanda Bynes-esqe crazy. Pull yourself together, Shia!

Miley Keeps Being Miley as the Bangerz Tour Begins

What would this list be without Miley Cyrus? Now on tour, Miley has been photographed entering the stage on her very own giant tongue slide, riding a giant hot dog in the air, performing with dancers dressed as giant colorful furry animals, and simulating some, ehem, late 90s presidential history… along some other activities we probably shouldn’t mention here. And in true Miley fashion, this is all while wearing vibrantly colored barely-there body suits covered in glitter and faux fur. But honestly, is anyone that surprised?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.