Mom and Dad: I Know You Don’t Like Tattoos, But I Got One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Many parents don’t like when their 18-year-olds decide they want tattoos. For some teenagers, the consequences are worse than others. I’ve had friends whose parents didn’t care much at all and then I’ve had a friend whose parents stopped talking to him for a week or two. I have friends who think going against their parent’s belief of tattoos as ugly is not worth it and I also have friends who have gotten tattoos without a second thought. 

In my case, my parents made it clear they would rather I not have any tattoos. I continuously expressed how I had plans to get tatted during my senior year of high school, but I never won my parents’ permission. So, I did what any other teenager would do: I waited till I went away to college.

Fast forward to October 28th, 2017. I was two months into my college experience and, oh man, was it a rough two months. The transition from living at home to living states away with a stranger and handling hard classes wasn’t the easiest, but two months came and went and I felt at home in Boston. That’s when I decided to get a tattoo. My friends and I went to Stingray in Allston and had an amazing experience. Everyone there was so helpful and the artist I worked with perfectly executed the tattoo I wanted.

Photo courtesy of http://stingraybodyart.com/

On the top of my left foot, there is now a tattoo that reads “ad maiora,” which translated from Latin means “towards greater things.” With its placement on the curve of my foot, I am reminded that no matter the tough situation I am thrown into, I will rise above, continuing forward as a stronger individual. It really helped me keep myself grounded in Boston. I can confidently say that I will be in Boston for the next four years experiencing college and I know there will be bumps in the road. Looking down and seeing a reminder that every decision I make now is in hopes of success in the future is helping me grow as an individual and learn what is truly important and of value in my life.

I know my parents probably won’t be too happy with me when they see it, but I’ll bet they will be happy to hear that I don’t have the urge to go out and get another one anytime soon. I view tattoos as a way of expression and, when done right, as beautiful artwork. The negative stigma surrounding tattoos isn’t fair since tattoos are personal and can hold so much meaning to any given person. It’s not always simply something to do for the heck of it.

For any other student worried about their family’s thoughts on tattoos, take it from me — just talk to them. Telling them beforehand is much better than permanently tattooing yourself without their knowledge. The anxiety of my parents not knowing ate at me for the first few days before I texted my dad letting him know when he saw me at Thanksgiving there would be a tattoo on my foot. 

With that said, mom and dad, I hope you aren’t too mad at me. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.