Wellness

Meet Otherworld: Your New Favorite Sustainable Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As you all probably know from my writing, I am very passionate about environmentalism. Sustainability is something that I think everybody should practice. It not only benefits the environment, but also provides a personal benefit. 

So when I had the opportunity to interview Jen Ballen, the CEO and co-founder of Otherworld, I jumped on the opportunity to do so. Otherworld is a sustainable alternative to our classic breakfast foods, in the form of a plant-based pancake and waffle mix that is simple to utilize. I’ll be honest, even as someone very passionate about environmentalism, I’m not an expert on the intersection of food and sustainability. As I prepared for the interview, I was extremely interested in what Ballen had to say about the creation and development of Otherworld.

Jen and Joe, the co-founders of Otherworld, had been friends for over a decade. They both wanted to make a product that reimagines their favorite childhood food, but does so in a way that is sustainable in all aspects of the business. Their minds immediately landed on pancakes and waffles, staple foods from their childhoods.

Throughout the interview, what stuck out to me was Otherworld’s genuine desire to be above and beyond when it comes to sustainability. Otherworld didn’t just stop at creating a sustainable product; they wanted to continue practicing sustainability with the rest of their business.

“We thought about how we could make sure a company made a net positive impact on the planet,” Ballen said. 

Ballen described to me how Otherworld uses upcycled ingredients across their mixes: “The ugly beet that never makes it to the grocery store shelf is the beet that turns into beetroot powder that goes into our mix.” 

Sustainability doesn’t stop there at Otherworld. From measuring their carbon emissions and offering carbon offset shipping to using metal recyclable packaging, it is evident that sustainability is the highest priority at Otherworld. This makes Otherworld’s business and products stand out. Many corporations and businesses preach that sustainability is important to them, yet do not make any true sustainable changes to their practices. This is a harmful issue known as greenwashing. However, it is so evident that Otherworld is a genuine business that cares about fostering environmental change. 

My positive remarks for Otherworld go even further than sustainability, which says a lot about the incredible business Jen and Joe have created. Otherworld also strongly cares about their customers and places high priority on taste as well. They have two professional chefs on the team, Dan Giusti and Brooke Siem. Giusti is the former head of Noma, which won the World’s Best Restaurant title five years in a row, while Siem was a 2017 “Chopped” champion. Otherworld also has Mike McDonnough on the team, a Clinical Dietician at NY Presbyterian.

What showed me that Otherworld truly valued their customers was through their focus on not just taste, but accessibility as well: “We do have a dream of getting the price down so that more people can access more fruits and vegetables through our products,” said Ballen. 

When I asked Ballen what her favorite memory was throughout this whole process, she smiled and immediately told me about Susan. Susan was the first purchase from someone the Otherworld team didn’t know, which was very exciting for them.

“We’re very grateful for all of the people that are trying us out,” Ballen said. 

I truly believe that Otherworld is one of the few companies that have a genuine desire to be sustainable and create environmental change. This year, they’re launching four new flavors (including gluten-free due to high customer demand) on top of their pre-existing four (chocolate chip, chocolate, apple cinnamon, and original).

If you want to check them out (which I highly encourage), their Instagram is @eatotherworld and their website is here. Support sustainability while enjoying your favorite breakfast foods!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ash is a sophomore at Boston University, studying Public Relations at the College of Communication and minoring in Environmental Analysis and Policy. In her free time, she loves to curate Spotify playlists, watch New Girl, and be surrounded by nature!