Style

Meet Lilly Schifferdecker: BU’s Very Own Style Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Boston University is full of amazing fashion. You can’t walk down Commonwealth Avenue for five minutes without seeing dozens of students dressed in the perfect casual city attire. And Lilly Schifferdecker, a current junior at BU majoring in psychology, is one of those students. Here’s what Lilly had to say about her fashion inspiration, how she puts outfits together, and any advice she has for those who want to change up their wardrobe.

Q: Have you always loved fashion?

A: Totally. My mom always tells me this story about how I refused to wear my school uniform so many times that they actually just let me wear whatever I wanted, and that was in Pre-K. So, you can imagine that I’ve always been very particular about what I wear. I remember growing up idolizing Fancy Nancy, so much to a point where I would try to copy her outfits exactly, no matter how extravagant they were. I’ve toned it down a bit since then, but I’m still never afraid to make a bold choice.

Q: Where do you get inspiration for your fashion?

A: I would say the time I studied abroad in Paris and Nice, France, has inspired my current style the most. I remember going to school and falling in love with what my classmates were wearing. It was this kind of timeless style that was both sophisticated and trendy, but never too much of either. Another source of inspiration is definitely from TikTok creators. I don’t find myself following many, if any fashion-related accounts, but of course the algorithm knows me a bit too well. Sometimes I even search for keywords along with “fashion” if I don’t know what to wear, which makes it much easier to find an outfit in the morning.

Q: What are the top stores you shop at?

A: These days, I rarely find myself shopping at any place other than thrift stores or consignment shops, but when I’m not thrifting, I love shopping at Aritzia, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Urban Outfitters. Aritzia is definitely more on the expensive side, so I only shop there for basics I know I’ll want to have for a long time. Abercrombie and Fitch has some amazing Aritzia dupes if I’m not willing to pay the price and of course, I’m a sucker for trends, so Urban Outfitters is a guilty pleasure of mine. 

Q: Why is thrifting a good option when shopping?

A: Thrifting is a great option for so many reasons, the most important being that it’s much better for the environment. Tons of clothing is manufactured and sold every day by companies that attempt to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing fashion trend cycle, but most of it either ends up in landfills or with consumers, who will likely move onto the next trend once the new season begins. Don’t get me wrong, I do love a good trend here and there, but realistically, most of the trendy clothing we buy also ends up in landfills. That’s why I think it’s super important to be conscientious about my own consumerism when buying new clothing. Thrifting is a great way to not buy into trend cycles and buy pieces that might become staples in your life for years to come. I think a little more than half of my clothing is thrifted, and I love that most of my clothes are things that no one else has, which is another reason I love to thrift. It’s also so much cheaper! 

Q: What are your staple pieces?

A: I’m a firm believer in the fact that everyone needs a pair of medium-wash Levi’s — they go with just about anything, and you can dress them up or down. Leather pants are another; sometimes I don’t want to wear dresses to look put together, and leather pants are the perfect substitute. A good pair of sturdy boots are also very important. I’ve had the same Doc Martens since I was in seventh grade, and they’ve never once failed me. I also love having an artillery of men’s button-downs; they are perfect for layering, either for warmth or style. The perfect white tank top is also something I cannot live without. Of course, I have about five, but I find myself wearing all of them once a week. Lastly, a good pair of gold hoops and a gold chain necklace to match is something I wear every day. You can never go wrong with gold; it’s chic and always brings a little fun to every outfit I wear. 

Q: How do you put your outfits together?

A: First, I check the weather. This is a critical step in my process because although beauty is pain, I think the cold is worse. Then, I pick a piece of clothing I want to base my outfit around. If there’s a fun top I haven’t worn in a while or if it’s the perfect day for a skirt, I’ll just make an outfit around that piece. I find the outfits I imagine never turn out right, and it’s much easier to build an outfit based on one article of clothing than trying to make something work in your head. 

Q: What pieces of clothing or accessories make you feel confident?

A: I think anything that I feel comfortable in. There isn’t really a specific piece I own that makes me feel especially confident because they all do. I used to buy clothes for the person I wanted to be, but I ended up wasting a lot of money and time. Now I focus on only selecting pieces that make me feel good about my body and who I am. Life is too short to wear clothes that I can’t be myself in. 

Q: What advice would you have for someone who wants to change up their wardrobe? For college students on a budget?

A: This is an easy one — thrift! It will save you so much money. Go on Pinterest and make an inspiration board before you go, then look for similar pieces. Thrift stores can be super overwhelming unless you know exactly what you’re looking for. And it doesn’t even have to be exact. As long as you have an idea of what you want, you’re solid. If you want to shop retail, find items you like and then wait to buy them. If you still like them in a month, buy them. And of course, stay true to what you like. It may not be what your friends or classmates are wearing, and that’s okay! The most important thing is wearing what you want. And who knows, maybe you’ll even start a new trend. 

As Lilly said, fashion is about what makes you feel confident and comfortable. Wear what makes you happy and excited to be out in the world! Don’t dress for others: dress for yourself.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.