Meet Kate Weiser: The BU Junior Behind Bucket List Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Last semester, Her Campus BU hosted a social media branding event in collaboration with our sister chapter at Simmons College. After the panel discussion, I was able to speak with panelist Kate Weiser, creator of @bucketlistboston on Instagram. If you want to know a fun fact about Kate, why she created the Instagram, and what her favorite event has been, then keep reading!

Name: Kate Weiser

Hometown: Mamaroneck, New York

Year: Junior / 2019

School/major: COM/KHC PR & Journalism

Dream job: Google

Fun fact about Kate: I can ride a 6-foot unicycle!

You were on the panel for our social media branding event – why did you decide to be a part of it?

It was an honor to be selected to represent BU on a social media panel on branding! I got to meet and hear from some true experts in the field. Having the opportunity to share what I’ve learned just by doing what I love was an amazing experience, one I am blessed to have had.

Do you have a piece of advice for people trying to start an Instagram centered around something specific like Bucket List Boston?

Before you even begin, ask yourself if this is something you are truly passionate about. If there is even a glimmer of doubt or a second of hesitation- drop it now. One thing starting @bucketlistboston has taught me is that without passion, you will not do the work. There are so many mornings I wake up for an event, or to go out and shoot, and I want so badly to wrap myself up in the sheets, turn over and hit snooze. But I endure those long days and early wake-ups because I absolutely love Boston and photography, and I know that I have an obligation to my followers to produce content every single day.

I would also say you do not have to begin as an expert, but start your account with the goal in mind of becoming an expert. Before college, the most experience I had had with a DSLR was photographing my younger sister’s music recitals. After many months of teaching myself how to use a camera, this past summer I began taking courses with the Boston Photography Workshops paid for through a fellowship with Kilachand I was lucky enough to receive.

Lastly, practice makes perfect. Whatever you are trying to do, practice will only make you better. I aim to go out and shoot at least once a day. While this certainly does not always happen, it is an attainable and real goal I have set for myself and motivates me to explore.

When did you start Bucket List Boston and why?

I started the account January of my freshman year. I had been using @igboston – “Boston’s most innovative photo community” as my entrance into exploring the city, when I learned I could apply to be a member, I quickly wanted that very badly. After first applying on my personal Instagram account I was met with feedback saying that I did not have “enough Boston,” which made sense because it also had me, my friends, NY (my hometown), and more. But I did not see this as the end, only a challenge. That was the fall. When I returned to Boston for the Spring semester I decided to create an account solely for my Boston photos. Hence, @bucketlistboston was born.

What is your favorite thing about running the account?

@BucketListBoston has provided me an incentive and an excuse to explore the city as often as possible which has really forced me out of the “BU Bubble” and into the community around us. I love knowing that I am a part of something larger not only by being at a huge university but also by being a Bostonian. Meeting new people and having them say “You’re Bucket List Boston?” Isn’t bad either.

Sometimes people can forget that there really is a person behind an Instagram account so how do people react when they realize you’re the person who runs the account?

People generally get very excited. There definitely is some surprise in their reaction when they learn it’s lil ole me behind the account. They usually end up telling me they’ve used my account to find activities and places to go for a while.

What has your favorite post been?

Over a year ago, my best friend Maddie and I went to Red Sox game at Fenway. While trying to find our way back to our seats post getting ice cream we ended up coming out right next to where the pitchers were practicing. My friend Maddie waved to the pitcher when he was taking a break and he tossed her a ball! Post #99 is a picture of me holding the ball with Fenway in the background and I think it captures the Boston spirit and always makes me smile when I see it!

Favorite event/place you’ve been to in Boston?

I just LOVE Marathon Monday – watching as the proud runners cross the finish and family, friends and fellow Bostonians greet them with cheers and hugs is priceless. It’s moments like these that remind me how special it is to be a Bostonian.

What’s an event you’re looking forward to?

I have a chocolate tasting at Gourmet Boutique in Copley!

Top three things on your personal bucket list, Boston or otherwise?

1. Davis Square

2. Juliet (restaurant in Somerville)

3. Sydney! (I am studying abroad here in the fall)

What is your favorite season to post in/ one that has the best events?

AUTUMN, no doubt.

If there was one thing you could recommend people do while they’re here, what would it be?

THAT’S SO HARD! Fenway Park – it includes history, sports, and Boston pride.

Is this something you want to continue with after you graduate?

Definitely! My goal is to have accounts in every major city.

Do you sometimes find it hard to find the time to post about things because of school or lack of inspiration? If so, how do you deal with that?

No lack of inspiration…I make it a goal to get off campus every single day. It is sometimes hard to balance school, but it has also taught me to prioritize and master time management.

Bucket List Boston is honestly one of my favorite Instagrams so definitely go check it out! Whether you need inspiration for brunch, something to do when the family comes to town, or even a cute date night idea, Bucket List Boston and Kate have got you covered! Be sure to also check out @bucketlistsydney for all of Kate’s adventures while she studies abroad in Australia!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.