This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve been a DJ at WTBU since last year, and I’m really enjoying being able to make so many playlists for my radio show and talk about each song live on air. I was curious about what it would be like to have been involved with WTBU for a while, and I was lucky enough to be able to speak to the programming director, Felipe Chamon, about his role in WTBU and music in general. 

Photo Credit: Boston University

How did you first get involved with WTBU? 

“I first got involved with WTBU through a complete fluke. Through COM 101, I got many random friend requests from people in the 300+ person lecture. One of them was our previous intern director Daera, and she shared an Interest Meeting event on Facebook. I went to that (begrudgingly because it was cold and in Kenmore), but I’m so glad I did. I then interned on The Blunder Years and later created Hobby Horsing Around and started DJing on BU In The Morning as well.” Sounds like a lucky fluke!

What are your responsibilities as the station admin? 

“I have a few responsibilities as station administrator. 1. Review/renew the station agreement at the beginning of the semester, and keep [track] of who signs it throughout the semester (everyone needs [to] sign it) 2. Take notes on everything at the weekly WTBU EBoard meetings 3. Send the weekly newsletters, and [act as] the main liaison between EBoard and the rest of WTBU 4. Give out swipe access to DJs and interns (and now podcasters) 5. Track who has paid dues, and collect them in cash form if they are not paid online. Now that the deadline has passed, I will have to start sending multiple emails to get as close to 100% of the dues we need to help the station 6. Send any mass emails from the station with station spots or announcements 7. Buy pizza for the GSM. There is probably more I do but these are the biggest things. My favorite thing about this position is that I get to learn more about what each position does than the general EBoard member, and I have been able to form strong friendships in EBoard because of the one-on-one communication I need to have with the members of EBoard.”

What do you like about WTBU? 

“Everything. It’s been such a positive part of my time at BU and given me a community of people who love music and talk radio like me. It’s been such a joy to be involved with the station. 

My first semester I was pretty lonely and had nothing going on. As soon as I got involved at WTBU my college life got immediately better, culminating in possibly my favorite semester yet. WTBU has the best people, and I’m so thankful that I get to interact with them on a daily basis.”

What are some of your interests outside WTBU? What is your major? 

“My major is Film and TV. I really enjoy creating content (recently started a podcast with Jillian, another EBoard member called The Jilly Filly Power Hour. We recap old Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network shows and movies. Episode 1 is on the new Kim Possible movie and our next episode will drop this week). My favorite classes have been Screenwriting, so I have decided to take up blogging since 2019 began, which has been fun. I am also involved with the BU Brazilian Association, as well as BUTV10’s Pop Showdown. I am also a Big for Big Brothers Big Sisters through the CSC.” I’m not in COM, and it’s always interesting to hear about some of the other classes people take at BU. 

In your opinion, what is the best song of all time? Worst?

“I think, while it’s a sadder song, Candle in the Wind by Elton John is the most beautiful song ever written. Worst…I worked at a summer camp this summer and the kids were obsessed with Flaming by Kero Kero Bonito, and I don’t think I’m ready to listen to that [ ] any time soon. Not bad, just overplayed.” Excuse me while I go listen to those now!

Photo Credit: Felipe Chamon 

At WTBU we don’t see people outside our shows all that much so I’m so glad I was able to talk to Felipe and that it’s been such a great experience for him. If you like music, talk shows or both, consider joining WTBU!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences studying marine science. She loves the ocean and summer more than anything and wants to live somewhere warmer one day even though she's spent her whole life in Massachusetts. She also likes music, night runs, and writing pointless things.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.