Career

Meet Chloe Klein: A Half-Deaf Student Dominating Zoom University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Taking college classes online is hard enough, but for freshman Chloe Klein, this adjustment was much bigger for her than the average student. Klein grew up half-deaf, unable to hear out of her right ear ever since she was five years old. At that age, her parents and teachers noticed that she was not paying attention to either of them, so her doctor recommended that she had her ears checked out. As it turned out, she was half-deaf.

Photo by Aubrey Rose Odom on Unsplash
“Because I was so young when I got diagnosed, a lot of my life has been trying to figure out what I may or may not be missing out on,” Klein said. “It has definitely made me more aware of my surroundings in ways I didn’t think, especially when it comes to beats in music and things like that. It has made me more aware of others in my surroundings and pushed me to break out of my shell by asking people I may not know to repeat themselves if I didn’t hear them.”

In high school, Klein had an assisted listening device, or ALD, almost like a hearing-aid in her ear, that helped her hear specifically what the teacher was saying. She could change the settings on the device so that she could only hear the teacher, not any background noise, whether that be students or not. 

students doing work outside
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

Now, with all of her classes online, she has a setting that allows for live captioning on all of her live lectures. Oftentimes, though, her professors fail to turn the setting on for her. Instead, she downloads a system on her computer that basically translates everything her professors say during class in a separate window. Within 24 hours, she receives a translated recording of her lectures from a cart writer. 

“Boston University has actually been really good about accommodating me,” Klein admits. “They were able to give me the assisted listening device similar to the one I grew up using and were able to set up so much to help me, which is definitely helpful now that most of my classes have been online.”

Still, Klein feels that online classes have made it much harder for her to focus and do well. Instead of being in-person and hearing her teachers talk in front of her, she has to put in more effort to pay attention in class through the screen while also juggling with reading captions and looking back on transcribed lectures. 

Klein hopes that in-person classes return as soon as it’s safe; but, until then, she is totally dominating Zoom University. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Caitlynn Tibbetts is a freshman at Boston University, planning to major in Finance and Global Business. She has been published in the Florida English Journal and Parkland Speaks. Coming from South Florida, she’s excited to join and explore the city of Boston and everything it has to offer.