Photo of girl interviewed in profile
Photo of girl interviewed in profile
Photo by Aida Jaganjac

Meet Aida Jaganjac: Transfer Student and BU’s Undiscovered Cinephile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Aida Jaganjac is a sophomore at Boston University studying international relations. She is a transfer student passionate about finding the best coffee spots in Boston, and all things film!! Our first interaction was over Instagram, and we quickly bonded over our mutual struggles with online learning, and our love for 90’s rom-coms. Read more to learn about Aida’s interests and her experience with transitioning to BU during an online semester.

Q: Tell us a little about yourself. Why did you decide to transfer to BU?

A: “I was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia! I went to Georgia State University up until this semester when I transferred to BU. I’m currently a sophomore studying international relations, and I’m super interested in hopefully going to work in human rights or immigrations law. I thought BU would give me a great education in what I wanted, and the IR major is so interdisciplinary that I have a lot of flexibility over my classes. Plus, I thought Boston was always such a nice city and seemed perfect to go to school in, so BU was my top choice when applying to transfer! Other than that, I love watching films in my free time; it really has always relaxed me and been an escape since I was little. I could talk about all the different films I love and analyze them unnecessarily for days!”

Q: How has your transition to BU been during a remote semester?

A: “I’m not going to lie, it’s been super odd starting at a new school online, since I decided to do this semester from home. My previous university had all online classes since Covid started in the spring and the fall, so in ways it felt like I was still over there instead of at BU. But, in another way, it’s been way easier for me to reach outside my comfort zone and join clubs! I’m so glad I joined Her Campus, and I’ve found my experience to be so fun! I’m a part of Women in Law here at BU, which I hope to get more involved with next semester. I also applied to be a research assistant at Questrom, and I got the job! So many good things have happened this semester that have balanced any loneliness or difficulties I’ve faced from being all remote. I think there’s always a bright side to things.”

Q: How did you discover your passion for movies?

A: “Like I mentioned before, I had always loved movies since I could understand what movies were. I was always the one in my family who was way too attached to films and always wanted to go to the theatre any chance I could. I think when I got older, I really enjoyed reading other people’s analyses of films that I loved, and I really admired all the work filmmakers go through to get their vision from paper to screen. You can really captivate audiences with good cinematography, screenwriting, directing, and of course, acting. So much goes into a good film! And that’s really what I love about them. I have such appreciation for so many stories.”

Photo of girl interviewed in profile
Photo by Aida Jaganjac

Q: Have you ever considered additionally pursuing film for your undergraduate studies?

A: “Yes! Many times. When I was applying to colleges as a senior, I was torn between choosing film or international relations as a major. I still have so many moments where I question if I’m making the right decision. It’s hard to be very passionate about two things that seem so different from one another. I think it’s especially difficult to see others pursuing film; you just wonder about what ‘could be’ a lot. But I am really excited to see what I can do with what I’m studying currently! Film is just a love of mine; I don’t necessarily believe I am obligated to pursue it professionally.”

Q: What are you looking forward to next semester at BU? 

A: “I’m most definitely looking forward to some semblance of normalcy. I’m a natural introvert, but I miss interacting with people! Even bumping into someone in a coffee shop that I vaguely know seems like a dream. I am definitely excited to experience Boston as a resident and explore it with my friends. Speaking of, I am also so excited to meet the friends I have made in real life! It’s so funny to form relationships over a screen, so being in other [people’s] presence will definitely be fun! I love BU so far, and I know being in person next semester will be such a great ride.”

Q: How is BU different from your previous school? Do you have any concerns for future semesters?

A: “I feel like the course load is way different than what I’m used to. Not to say I can’t handle it, it’s just something to definitely get used to. I think once I get over hurdles of classes I may not want to take, the classes within my desired regional and functional track seem to be super interesting, so I’m looking forward to it.”

Photo by Aubrey Rose Odom on Unsplash

Q: What are your all-time favourite movies? Have you thought about joining a film club at BU?

A: “I definitely have a top 5 list handy. My all-time favourite movie is The Truman Show. I absolutely love this movie. I think the plot is so unique and the story is funny – but also heart breaking at the same time. I could watch it any time. My second favorite is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both of these movies star Jim Carrey, so I would have to say he’s one of my favorite actors. These two stories are so different from one another, so they really show his versatility. The next 3 favorite movies of mine: La La Land, Booksmart, and 10 Things I Hate About You. Also, yes! I would really want to join one. I would also want to make my own club where we just watch and talk about very specific types of movies. Like, all those rom-coms from the late 90s/early 2000s. I think they deserve their own club.”

Q: What advice would you give to students considering transferring to BU?

A: “Do your research! I think transferring is an amazing opportunity for anyone looking to ‘start fresh.’ It’s really important to know that you would be happy at this university. Being at college for a specific amount of time should give you some knowledge about what you like/don’t like in a college. BU had a lot of helpful information about their programs on their websites. I also contacted the Admissions office whenever I had questions. Look at things other than academics as well! Club information, student testimonies, and potential jobs here are all things to look out for. Also, once you get here, don’t be afraid to reach out to others if you want to make friends! Your experience is definitely what you make of it.”

To gain more insight about being a transfer student and learn more about Aida, follow her on Instagram!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Saumya is a freshman studying Psychology at Boston University. Some of her hobbies are painting, drinking way too much bubble tea, and reading! Find her on Instagram @saumya.maitra
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.