This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The March For Our Lives is a global march, with the flagship march in Washington DC, to protest gun violence in America and across the globe. This march was brought to life and organized by the Stoneman Douglas school shooting survivors who are demanding that lawmakers take action and responsibility for the endless school shootings happening across the country.

The mission statement for the march, found on their website here, is as follows:

“On March 24, the kids and families of March For Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington DC to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end this epidemic of mass school shootings. The collective voices of the March For Our Lives movement will be heard. Join us in DC or march in your own community.”

On the website for the march, you can join one of the 819 events going on worldwide, and add your name to the petition to help end gun violence in America. There is even a convenient tool where you can enter your zip code and see which march is closest to you. Additionally, there are options to make a donation that will help support the march and the Broward Education Fund. The website also has an online merchandise store where you can purchase merchandise to wear to the marches. All profits will go towards the march.

Thousands of people from all over the world are expected to march and there will be a march right in Boston for those of us at Boston University. However, if you want to attend the main march in Washington DC but do not have a car, there are still options. Train lines such as the Northeast Regional and Acela run directly to DC from Boston, and there is always the option of flying the short flight there for the weekend. Also, Greyhound buses can be taken with a quick switch in New York City, mid-trip.

Major celebrities are getting involved in this march, such as George and Amal Clooney and Steven Spielberg, who have all donated to the cause. According to CNN, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, Ariana Grande, and Demi Lovato will all be marching in Washington DC this Saturday to stand with the students from Parkland, Florida.

The March For Our Lives will begin at noon on Saturday in DC on Pennsylvania Avenue between 3rd Street NW and 12th Street NW, according to ABC News. The march in Boston will leave from Madison Park and gather on the Boston Common for performances and speakers. For more information on the March For Our Lives in Boston, look at the Facebook event here.

The students from Stoneman Douglas are taking a tragedy that affected all of them and turning it into a powerful and necessary discussion for our country. Our voices need to be heard, and this Saturday they will be when thousands of people gather to demand change and progress in America. If you are able to attend a march, please go make your voice heard, and stay safe while doing it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.