Making the Cut: A Longhaired Girl’s Guide to Chopping the Locks.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

On the first warm day in Boston the “I want to cut my hair” itch arrived. Having had long hair since my freshman year of high school, I swore to never let myself cut my hair short ever again, but then the humidity got to me, and I decided to look into it.

First of all, do research. I literally went to hundreds of sites trying to figure out my face shape, what hair looks best on my body type, and whether or not I was ready to not only cut my hair, but get rid of my ombré I have had for the last year or two. It really did pay off though. You feel more confident about cutting your hair when you walk into a salon with a hairstyle you know will flatter you. If anything, schedule a consultation with your stylist and they can tell you what would look best, they are the experts.

You want to know that you’re going to the right hair stylist, preferably someone you’re able to trust. It’s best to not go to someone new for a dramatic short cut because they don’t know you’re hair as well. If you’re away at school, maybe test out a couple of hairstylist by just getting trims at first, then decide who you like best, and go there when you decide to cut it short. 

Next, it’s important to find a reasonable picture of someone’s hair you like. Remember though, most pictures you find will be celebrities and their hair is done by professionals on a regular basis, so if the cut doesn’t look exactly the same, don’t freak out. On the other hand, telling someone you want to cut 4 in. is way different than telling them you want to cut 6 in. My hairstylist has long hair and is closer to my age so I feel like she really knew to cut enough, but not too much so I wouldn’t cry, sob, have a nervous breakdown, etc.

In terms of which I like more, I can honestly say I’m never growing my hair out again. I’m only 5’1’’ and I feel like my longer hair only made me look shorter. Also, It’s nice to be able to straighten my hair in 5 minutes tops and I feel like I can really do anything with it that I did with my long hair. Overall, I would definitely recommend trying short hair if you’re thinking about it. If you love it, that’s awesome, and if you end up hating it, it will grow back. 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."